Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
vjcongmt
Forum Guests

researchers have found a correlation chapter-4 parallelism

by vjcongmt Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:28 am

Hi,

I was going over chapter11 of the MGMAT SC guide 8th edition. And during the practice problem I had to go back to chapter-4 practice problems on parallelism. The first question caught me by surprise, I was trying to understand the role played by the elements in parallel and seem not comprehend the rule of parallelism and play. Please help clarify.

Question
=======
Researchers have found a correlation between exercising and earning good grades

Here exercising and earning are in parallel but I am unable to understand the roles played by them.
Exercising seems to be a noun (simple gerund.. as I understand)..
and
Earning seems to be a verb (earning good grades)...

Can they still be parallel, my understanding is that for parallelism to exists the elements need to play similar roles ?
jlucero
Forum Guests

Re: researchers have found a correlation chapter-4 parallelism

by jlucero Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:41 pm

vjcongmt Wrote:Hi,

I was going over chapter11 of the MGMAT SC guide 8th edition. And during the practice problem I had to go back to chapter-4 practice problems on parallelism. The first question caught me by surprise, I was trying to understand the role played by the elements in parallel and seem not comprehend the rule of parallelism and play. Please help clarify.

Question
=======
Researchers have found a correlation between exercising and earning good grades

Here exercising and earning are in parallel but I am unable to understand the roles played by them.
Exercising seems to be a noun (simple gerund.. as I understand)..
and
Earning seems to be a verb (earning good grades)...

Can they still be parallel, my understanding is that for parallelism to exists the elements need to play similar roles ?

Those are both gerunds. No one is earning good grades in that sentence. You could say "exercising at noon" and the extra modifier doesn't affect that the verb-ish word ends in -ing and is being used as a noun. That's what makes a gerund.
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
aditi
Students

by aditi Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:12 am

Hi,
Had a query related to the above question from MGMAT SC
"Researchers have found a correlation between exercise and earning good grades."
Can the answer be
Researchers have found a correlation between doing exercise and earning good grades.

Thanks
aditi
Students

by aditi Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:35 pm

Please reply i have posted it way back in Feb or let me know if my post is not in lines with forum rules

Is it because doing exercise vs exercising - the latter is more concise.
Or is it that whenever we have a word followed by doing which can be written as a gerund, it is better to prefer the gerund version.

For E.g.
doing exercise vs exercising --exercise can be written as a gerund exercising
doing laundry - No alternative as the noun Laundry cannot be written as a gerund

Thanks a lot..