If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
funke

Retake GMAT, Apply, Wait another year before applying?

by funke Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:24 am

I need some advice regarding my situation. I have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored poorly the first 3 times (640's). I finished the MGMAT 9 week online course and scored an 680 (87) Q44(70) V38(87) on 9/24/08. I have consistenly scored between 700-750 (by consistent, 6 times in the last 6 weeks) on my practice exams (under conditions similar to the actual test) and decided to retake the exam on 10/27/08. Unfortunately, my score dropped to a 640(76) 42Q(63) 35V(74). I am extremely disappointed in the result, in myself, and have serious doubts about my ability to get into my target schools (HBS, Stanford, Columbia, Yale, and Tuck). I am very confused about what my highest priority should be.

I am considering retaking the exam for a 6th time b/c my practice exams were so much higher than my actual results. Ideally, I would like to apply this year (2nd round) to the schools I am targeting.

Is it best to plan to take the test in a month? I am concerned about the number of times that I've taken the test, because I have heard mixed reports on the admissions board's response to taking the test multiple times. (At this point I think that I can only hope that it shows determination to conquer an obstacle in one's path.)

Is it better to focus on the application instead of the GMAT?

I am extremely frustrated wtih my testing results and am also thinking of giving up the process. Would you advise taking drastic measures to improve my score and applying next year?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

GMAT: 9/24/08
Q44(70)
V38(87)

Undergrad:
Brown University 2004
BS Psychology
GPA 3.4

Work experience: 4+ years
2.5 years building a start-up workplace wellness company
2 years as operating manager (managing consultant) for small business in Texas

Community:
Developed and run free community yoga sessions (2 years)
volunteer with Habitat for Humanity, Sustainable Food Center, Communities in Schools

Reason for MBA:
Begin a career in consulting with a top firm (Bain, McKinsey,etc) focusing on business strategy and marketing for businesses focused on social enterprise. Utilize MBA skills to move into an executive level position and to successfully develop my entrepreneurial projects and pursuits.

Target Schools:
HBS
Stanford
Columbia
Yale
Tuck
MBA Mission

by MBA Mission Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:23 am

Thank you for your inquiry. It is a terrible cliché but the GMAT is only one part of your application. You seem to have given it your best and should probably turn your attention to the rest of your application now. Your 680 score is certainly workable; you might want to take it one more time, but I would not sacrifice time working on your application for time studying. Just walk in and take it cold. I don’t think that the number of times that you take the test will matter - after all the school will see five tests at the most either way.

You seem to have some unique elements of your application regardless. Bolstering your management consulting experience, you have start up and operational experience as well as strong community experience, where you seem to have shown initiative. I don’t think that you are screaming Harvard, but I don’t think that a 710 will change that all that much.

I would be interested in speaking with you to learn more about your profile. Please complete a free consultation form (link below) and we can chat for free and really see where you are...

Sincerely,
Jeremy Shinewald
MBA Mission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
MBA Mission Insider’s Guides: www.mbamission.com/store.php
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php
funke

by funke Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:25 pm

Thank you for your response. I still am trying to decide what needs to be done. I am not all interested in wasting my time at business school unless it is a TOP 5 program.

I think you were joking by suggesting that one not prepare for the GMAT.

I am willing to do whatever is necessary to get into a top 5 school. At this point, I think that I have a small chance, but I am looking to improve that 'chance'. Would my situation be improved by a few more years of work in a corporate situation (along with a drastically improved GMAT)?

Do you have any suggestions for options at this point?