If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
KellyO29
Course Students

Retake GMAT with 700?

by KellyO29 Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:43 pm

Hi! Looking for some advice: I'm applying Round 2 to top ten b schools. I just took the GMAT today and got a 700 (42Q, 42V) and an IR score of 8.

Should I retake given the difference between quant and verbal? Quant is not my strong suit, although I am strong in practical application of this (i.e. in situations that are reflected in IR).

Thank you!
mbaMissionNishaT
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Retake GMAT with 700?

by mbaMissionNishaT Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:58 pm

Hi - thanks for writing! While your overall score is solid, schools do look at the subscores as well, and in particular look at quant scores to provide evidence that applicants can handle their rigorous curriculum.

Retaking and scoring at least a few points higher on the quant would be ideal - but if not, I would highlight in the Optional Essay the quant courses that you took in undergrad (and in which you earned a grade of A- or above) as well as the quant skills you've demonstrated at work. Also ask your recommenders to attest to your analytical abilities if possible.

Hope that helps! :)

KellyO29 Wrote:Hi! Looking for some advice: I'm applying Round 2 to top ten b schools. I just took the GMAT today and got a 700 (42Q, 42V) and an IR score of 8.

Should I retake given the difference between quant and verbal? Quant is not my strong suit, although I am strong in practical application of this (i.e. in situations that are reflected in IR).

Thank you!