If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
StephanE404
Students

Retake the Gmat to get into Top 5 BS? - 680

by StephanE404 Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:50 am

Hi everybody,

I hope someone can give me some advice.

I took my GMAT two days ago and scored 680 (q44, v38). I was hoping to score 700+ as I scored up to 730 on Cats on manhattanprep. As I want to apply for top Business Schools (Wharton, Stanford, HBS, Kellogg's) I am looking for advice if it makes sense for me to retake the test. Searching the web I found different opinions that did not really help me to decide for one or the other.
The rest of my resume looks like this:

Undergrad: industrial engineering at top ranked school in Germany - GPA 3.8
Grad: Industrial engineering at same school - GPA 3.9
2 years working experience at top 3 management consulting company in Europe
Multiple internships during my study (consulting, finance, engineering)

Thanks for any help!

Best
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Retake the Gmat to get into Top 5 BS? - 680

by mbamissionjenK Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:47 pm

Hi there,

As a former GMAT instructor and tutor for many years, I'd say go and take it again... as soon as you can! ;) Scoring well on reputable practice tests is a good indicator that you are capable of doing so, and you may have had an off day... see what happens on a different day/different mindset! And worse case you could cancel and schools will not even know you repeated... but their policy is to take the highest score at this point anyway.

That said those are TOUGH schools you've listed... even with a great score! And with only 2 years of full time work experience you're tasked with showing why NOW is the right time for you and that you are ready, since the average successful incoming student has about 5 years at matriculation...

But good luck nevertheless and see what you can achieve!!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php