Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Sales of wines declined in the 1980s

by RonPurewal Wed May 16, 2012 10:50 am

samwong Wrote:Under test conditions, what would be a good approach to attack this question?
When you can't find any error in the first choice, do you check the remaining choices to make sure that you didn't miss any errors?
Since there is no error in the first choice, how do you do a quick split for B, C, D, and E for this problem?

Thank you.

sam, the best way to answer this question -- along with a whole bunch of other questions like it -- is this: "just look for something that's different in the choices."

really, you can find anything that differs! just scan the choices until you find something that is done differently among different choices. if you can find a reason to eliminate one of the ways in which that thing is done, good! if not, move on and find something else.

by the way, don't "hunt for errors" in choice (a).
in general, you probably won't be able to do this with much proficiency -- after all, if you could, then you wouldn't have any trouble with sentence correction! (in that case, you would be able to do exactly the same thing with all the other choices, and just like boom! the problem would be solved.)
if you see an error that's obvious (to you, anyway) in the original sentence, then go ahead and analyze it. but don't go picking through the original sentence in "search mode" if nothing jumps out at you.
samwong
Course Students

by samwong Thu May 24, 2012 2:42 am

Thanks Ron for your advice. I have learned so much from reading your other posts. I don't post often on this forum because your explanations are very clear. I get very excited when I read your explanations. Thank you so much!
mylittled2008
Forum Guests

by mylittled2008 Thu May 24, 2012 9:56 am

Sales of wines declined in the late 1980s, but they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease.

A. perfect! in X, particularly Y, I suppose that X and Y should be parallel. "consumtion of alcohol" and " consumption of red wind" make a perfect parallel as it required.

B. "alcohol" is a adjective noun, so it cannot be the noun which parallels with the noun after "particularly"-- "red wine".
"they began growing" is not parallel with "declined" too. The author want to pass the idea that sales declined in xx, but they began to grow after xx. The verbs in these clauses should be parallel in order to convey this idea.

C. The "particularly" issue is the same as B.
"which" refers to "red wine", making the sentence nonsense.
The original sentence are telling us a story that the repot which linked xx with xx contribute to the grow of sales. "caused" in C is telling us that moderate alcohol consumption caused sales to grow. Wrong!

D. The "particularly" issue is the same as B.
The "began growing" issue is the same as B too.
"link X with Y": X and Y should be parallel.

E. "in X and particular in Y" is the right one.
The "started them growing" is not parallel with declined.
tim
Course Students

by tim Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:17 pm

let us know if you have a question here..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
nowwithgmat
Forum Guests

by nowwithgmat Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:55 am

hello instructor

can u please explain why E is wrong..

thanx in advance
vijay19839
Students

by vijay19839 Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:48 pm

Can someone please explain what is wrong with Option D?

Thanks
Vijay
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:51 am

nowwithgmat Wrote:hello instructor

can u please explain why E is wrong..

thanx in advance

* "and in particular red wine" isn't parallel to anything. i.e., there's nothing before "and" that can be the other half of this construction.

* if you eliminate modifiers from this sentence, you get "a reduced risk of heart disease ... started [sales] growing again". that's a nonsense meaning.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:53 am

vijay19839 Wrote:Can someone please explain what is wrong with Option D?

Thanks
Vijay

* "in particular red wine" doesn't modify anything.
this construction follows alcohol consumption -- in which "alcohol" is an adjective, not a noun -- rather than just alcohol. red wine is not a type of alcohol consumption, so this modifier isn't workable.

* the "with..." modifier suggests that wine sales themselves have experienced a reduced risk of heart disease.
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:05 am

mschwrtz Wrote:Can you please explain if the use of 'and' in 'and particularly of alcohol' is correct(required). The sentence seems fine without it.

You're right. Correct either way.

I want to learn from choice A.

"and particularly of red wine" is correct
in this case, "and' is used to make "alcohol" parallel to "red wine" . In short, we have

consumption of alcohol and red wine.

"alcohol" is general and "red wine" is specific. why they can be paralel? the word "particularly" shows that "red wive" is the specific case of "alcohol" so they can not be parallel.

"particularly of rea wince" is should be correct in choice A.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:45 am

thanghnvn Wrote:"and particularly of red wine" is correct
in this case, "and' is used to make "alcohol" parallel to "red wine" . In short, we have

consumption of alcohol and red wine.

more precisely, the parallel structures are "of alcohol" and "of red wine".

"alcohol" is general and "red wine" is specific. why they can be paralel? the word "particularly" shows that "red wive" is the specific case of "alcohol" so they can not be parallel.

first, and most importantly, remember -- don't question the official answers.
if the official answer puts two things in parallel, that means those two things can be parallel!

in any case, here's what's going on:
if the construction just said "...of alcohol and of red wine", then, yes, it would be nonsense.
on the other hand, this sentence includes the word "particularly" -- whose function here is to legitimize this parallel structure.
in other words, the inclusion of "particularly" is basically a way of saying, "yes, these really are the two things i wanted to put in parallel."

there are other constructions that do the same type of thing -- because, after all, sometimes authors actually want to make parallel structures between things that are not "traditionally" parallel.
for instance:
hemingway's books were not as famous as hemingway himself.
--> without "himself", the parallelism in this sentence wouldn't make much sense, as it compares books to an author. however, if your actual intention is to state the idea that hemingway's personal fame eclipsed the notoriety achieved by his books, then the inclusion of "himself" correctly specifies that comparison.

--

most importantly, the official answers are always correct!
jyothi h
Course Students

by jyothi h Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:59 am

Is there any issue with the usage of "began GROWING" as opposed to "TO GROW" ? I guess "Growing" here isnt wrong either , but "to grow" is preferred if there is one present ? Is my understanding correct ? Just trying to figure out and confirm, all the reasons why the wrong answers are wrong .

Also in option C, because of the use of the prepositional phrase "particularly of red wine" , is this correctly modifying "moderate alcohol consumption" - ( moderate alcohol consumption of red wine ) ?
tim
Course Students

by tim Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:04 pm

"began to grow" and "began growing" should both be equally valid in almost any conceivable context. in C, we would want to see a noun in front of "of"..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
tkotw79
Forum Guests

by tkotw79 Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:39 am

Hello,

Is it okay to eliminate answer choices based on "Linked 'X' WITH 'Y'. " And is it a correct idiomatic usage.

I have read "LINK someone or something TO someone or something" is okay. (Not sure if it is ok with GMAC)

Rgds,
Abhi
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:27 am

In sentences describing an association between possible cause and effect, or describing where people think something might originate, I've usually seen "linked to".
E.g., High intake of refined carbohydrates has been linked to the onset of cancer.

I wouldn't use "linked with" for this sort of thing, but I can't tell you whether GMAC would.
(I'd use "linked with" in the more literal sense, e.g., Highway 101 links San Francisco with San Jose.)
cshen02
Forum Guests

by cshen02 Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:21 am

Fuzzy fuzzy...

What does the which in C refer to? OG says it refers to red wine. Can it refer to the consumption of red wine, or modify moderate alcohol consumption (dropping the non-essential modifier0?
In D, can I say in particular red wine is a preposition modifier that describes alcohol consumption?

I always get bogged down in these little issues...

Cheers!