Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
cesar.rodriguez.blanco
Course Students

SC: Although she had been known as an effec

by cesar.rodriguez.blanco Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:12 pm

I want to know what is wrong with this SC.
In my opinion, I think that B is the correct answer, but I do not know if "which" is correct.
For this reason, I would like to receive any kind of feedback from instructors od testakers.
Source: beatthegmat

Although she had been known as an effective legislator first in the Texas Senate and later in the United States House of Representatives, not until Barbara Jordan's participation in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon in 1974 was she made a nationally recognized figure, as it was televised nationwide.

A. later in the United States House of Representatives, not until Barbara Jordan's
participation in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon in
1974 was she made a nationally recognized figure, as it was
B. later in the United States House of Representatives, Barbara Jordan did not
become a nationally recognized figure until 1974, when she participated in the
hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which were
C. later in the Untied States House of Representatives, it was not until 1974 that
Barbara Jordan became a nationally recognized figure, with her participation in
the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which was
D. then also later in the United States House of Representatives, not until 1974 did
Barbara Jordan become a nationally recognized figure, as she participated in the
hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, being
E. then also later in the United States House of Representatives, Barbara Jordan did
not become a nationally recognized figure until 1974, when she participated in the
hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which was
RonPurewal
Students

Re: SC: Although she had been known as an effec

by RonPurewal Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:34 am

cesar.rodriguez.blanco Wrote:I want to know what is wrong with this SC.
In my opinion, I think that B is the correct answer, but I do not know if "which" is correct.

"which" is fine in (b).

see here:
usage-of-which-t746-15.html#p104933

--

in this sentence, "which were..." is plural and so can't refer to nixon. therefore it must refer to the hearings, so we're good.
karthik.eleven
Forum Guests

by karthik.eleven Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:00 pm

".................in our observation, the gmat has been VERY good about this.
whenever i've seen a "which" that refers to "X + preposition + Y" rather than just Y, it has ALWAYS been the case that X was singular and Y was plural (or X was plural and Y was singular), and the verb had a form that matched X and didn't match Y."

I am not sure if i agree with the above statement that all the GMAT questions fit the aforementioned pattern. If you look at the question present at
http://www.beatthegmat.com/publishing-d ... 24630.html , the choice D says the following:

D. in its share, from 6 percent to 10 percent, of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges .

Clearly there is a confusion as to whether the relative pronoun 'which' refers to the noun 'country' or to the noun-phrase 'the $21 billion book market in the country' .

Also, in the following sentence, which I made up, is there a way to nail down the antecedent of 'which' ? Is the antecedent 'Afghanisthan' or the 5 billion dollar opium market in Afghanisthan

The 5 billion dollar opium market in Afganisthan, which is causing nightmares to politicians in Wahington D.C., is the focus of the discussions between the diplomats

BTW i think the rules that govern the antecedent of the relative pronoun 'which' also govern the rules for other relative pronouns like 'that' etc.

Experts .. what do you think
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:30 am

karthik.eleven Wrote:I am not sure if i agree with the above statement that all the GMAT questions fit the aforementioned pattern. If you look at the question present at
http://www.beatthegmat.com/publishing-d ... 24630.html , the choice D says the following:

D. in its share, from 6 percent to 10 percent, of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges .

huh?
on that problem, choice (d) is incorrect.
why would you look to an incorrect answer for confirmation of a rule?

Also, in the following sentence, which I made up, is there a way to nail down the antecedent of 'which' ? Is the antecedent 'Afghanisthan' or the 5 billion dollar opium market in Afghanisthan

The 5 billion dollar opium market in Afganisthan, which is causing nightmares to politicians in Wahington D.C., is the focus of the discussions between the diplomats

in that sentence, "which" would still default to "afghanistan" (which is grammatically ok - it's singular and it's not a person, so is a grammatical match for "which is").

it's easy to revise that particular sentence, though --> afghanistan's $5 billion opium market, which is...

--

by the way, if you have an official problem on which the CORRECT answer contradicts these findings, we'd love to see it.

incorrect answers are definitely not a reliable source of information, since they're ... incorrect.
AQUILA05
Students

by AQUILA05 Tue May 04, 2010 12:45 pm

Hi Ron
Thank you for the many useful replies you have provided.

On the topic of finding the antecedent of relative pronouns, i have been somewhat puzzled by it as well. I wonder if you could kindly shed some more light on this.

Specifically i wonder how does one methodically determine the antecedent of a relative pronoun. Your previous post seem to suggest that we should look at the verb that appears after the relative pronoun to determine the elligible antecedent.
i.e. "The $5bil opium market in Afganisthan which is ..." - you suggest "which" refers to "Afganisthan" since "which is" is used.
So if "The $5bil opium and cocaine markets in Afganisthan which are..." - Would you argue that "markets" is now the antecedent?

If this is the case, then aren't we really saying the verb controls the subject when it ought to be the subject controlling the verb?

I am really confused by this commonly spoken sentence found in Kaplan Verbal Foundation - identify the correct antecd. and verb:
"His taste in music is one of the things about him that (drive/drives) me crazy" Answer: drive.
We all say this all time correctly all the time but ultimately i dun know why we say drive and not drives?
My thougths were:
1) "that" = relative pronoun.
2) "about him" = preposition phrase so cannot be antecedent subj
3) "of the things" = Preposition phrase so not antecedent
4) "one" = must be the antecedent
Clearly i am wrong, but where have i gone wrong?
I cannot employ your method to determine the antecedent of the relative pronoun "that" since i have to define the verb "drive or drives"

The next question sentence that follows in the book is
" His taste in music is the one thing about him that (drives/drive) me crazy" Ans: drives
My thougths were:
3) "one thing" = must be the antecedent
Is my analysis correct here?

Many thanks in anticipation
Al
rohit801
Course Students

by rohit801 Sat May 15, 2010 4:01 pm

Al,
regarding your following comments:
---------------------------------------------------------
The next question sentence that follows in the book is
" His taste in music is the one thing about him that (drives/drive) me crazy" Ans: drives
My thougths were:
3) "one thing" = must be the antecedent
Is my analysis correct here?

Many thanks in anticipation
Al
--------------------------------------------------------

IN this situation, the Object of the preposition serves as the SUBJECT of the RELATIVE CLAUSE". so, what does this mean?

1. His taste in music is the one of the things about him that (drives/drive) me crazy. Relative clause starts with "that..." So, we need to find the subject. "music is one OF [prep] the "things". Here "things" is the object of the preposition "OF" and this serves as the subject of the rel. clause. So, we need "DRIVE". Consider it this way-> There are many things that DRIVE me crazy; his taste in music IS ONE of THOSE many Things.

try this one now - One of the items that [are/is] placed on the table [is/are] red. Do u see it? There are many items that are placed on the table; one of them is red.

Hope it helps.....BTW,,RON is absolutely amazing. I suggest you join THU with RON just be become a better human being!!
vanquish1984
Students

by vanquish1984 Thu May 20, 2010 1:49 pm

Hi Rohit

Thank you for ur reply.

I am afriad that i am still no wiser.

Your question statement:
"One of the items that (is/are) placed on the table (is/are) red"

My assessment:
"One of the items IS red" - bcos "of the items" is preposition, so "one" is subject.

".... items that ARE placed on ..." - "that" is relative pronoun and refers to the nearest noun "items".

According to your statement, the relative pronoun "that" from my example below would refer to "him" as per your example of "One of the items that ARE placed on the table..."

So, unfortunately, this still does not resolve my original question:
Where have i gone wrong in my below assessment?

"His taste in music is one of the things about him that (drive/drives) me crazy" Correct answer: drive.
My thougths were:
4) "one" = must be the antecedent
Clearly i am wrong, but where have i gone wrong?
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Tue May 25, 2010 1:17 pm

This is where you have gone wrong. :) It is not the case that a modifier cannot refer to the noun in a prepositional phrase. You might be confusing this with the rule that the noun in a prepositional phrase cannot be the main subject of the sentence.

When you have a modifier, however, that does contain a conjugated verb BUT that verb is not the MAIN verb of the sentence, then that verb CAN refer to the noun in a prepositional phrase.

For example:

That cat is one of the cats that hunt at night.

The main noun is "the cat" and the main verb is "is." "that hunt at night" is a modifier. When the sentence talks about who is (or who are) hunting at night, is it talking about just one cat hunting at night, or is it saying that all of the cats hunt at night?

In this case, "hunt" is plural, so we know that the sentence is trying to say that all of the cats hunt at night, not just the one cat who is the subject of the sentence.

What if I wanted to say that only that one cat hunts at night? I might say something like:

That cat is the only one of the cats that hunts at night. Now, "hunts" is singular, so I know it can't refer to the plural "cats." It must refer to the single "cat" that is the subject of the sentence.

So, to summarize: the verb in a modifier CAN refer to a noun that is part of a prepositional phrase. It's only the MAIN verb that cannot refer to a noun that is part of a prepositional phrase.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:12 am

Posted for the original poster (who's having tech problems):

Stacey you're absolutely spot on where I had gone wrong in my tho process. However, it still is a little fuzzy for me when applying the rules you described re: "modifier can refer to a noun that is part of a prepositional phrase".

This is because in applying the rules you mentioned my tho process would have stopped in step 2. (you caught me out on step 3) i.e. My thougths were:
2) "about him" = preposition phrase (ok think Stacey’s comment, so "him" is an eligible antecedent noun)

Hence, the correct verb would have been "drives". Clearly, I am wrong again, or am I not?

In regard to your first example sentence:
"That cat is one of the cats that hunt at night"

Does it mean that I could also say:
"That cat is one of the cats that hunts at night" - i.e the antecedent of "that" is now "one".

I am sorry if I am missing something really basic.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
ManhattanPrep
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:23 am

So, the issue we're discussing here is a meaning issue. You only know what verb to use if you know beyond a doubt what the intended meaning is. (And, therefore, this is something where you'd either keep the meaning of the original sentence or the test just wouldn't ask you to make this decision in the first place. But on the test you don't have to somehow decide yourself what the correct meaning should be.)

"His taste in music is one of the things about him that (drive/drives) me crazy"

In this sentence, is the intent to talk about ONE thing that drives me crazy? Or is the intent to mention that there are multiple thingS that drive me crazy? On the real test, I would know based upon what they did in the origianl sentence.

In the real world, I would say that we're trying to talk about multiple things - otherwise, why am I bringing up the things at all? I could just say his taste in music drives me crazy. If I still wanted to bring up other things but say that ONLY his taste in music is driving me crazy, I would want to indicate that contrast. But this is all a discussion of what I would think in the real world, not on the test.

If you really want to know for the real world, then generally:
If you want to say there are many things that drive you crazy, then you say "this is one of the <things that drive me crazy> about him."
If you want to say that this is the only thing he does that drives you crazy, but you still want to mention that he does other things (that don't drive you crazy), then you say "this is the one <THING> out of all the things he does <that drives me crazy>."

Notice the difference in language there - in the second, I'm making very clear with my language that the "one thing" is in a different category than all of the other things, while in the first sentence, the one thing is part of the broader category of things, so I don't need to split the one thing out so much.

Ditto the cat sentence.

If you're really worried about / trying to study for the test, though: you maintain the original meaning unless there's something logically impossible about that original meaning. So just look for the original meaning.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
ManhattanPrep
sonnco
Students

by sonnco Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:34 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
cesar.rodriguez.blanco Wrote:I want to know what is wrong with this SC.

"which" is fine in (b).

the gmat tends to write sentences in which "which" stands for the ELIGIBLE noun that's closest to the comma.
by "eligible", i mean that the noun has to AGREE IN TERMS OF SINGULAR/PLURAL with the FOLLOWING VERB.

here's an example:

the box of nails, which is on the counter, is to be used on this project.

in this case, "which" CANNOT refer to "nails", since the verb "is" is singular. therefore, the nearest eligible noun is "box (of nails)". so, "which" unambiguously stands for that.

in our observation, the gmat has been VERY good about this.
whenever i've seen a "which" that refers to "X + preposition + Y" rather than just Y, it has ALWAYS been the case that X was singular and Y was plural (or X was plural and Y was singular), and the verb had a form that matched X and didn't match Y.

hope that helps.

--

in this sentence, "which were..." is plural and so can't refer to nixon. therefore it must refer to the hearings, so we're good.

Hi Ron,

Could you clear something up for me? The following thread has your comments on the use of which as well, but it seems to differ from the advice stated above. I could very well be misunderstanding this concept. Please help.

sc-in-attempting-to-solve-the-problems-caused-by-a-lowering-t7987.html?hilit=north%20sea

For the answer to A you say that "approaches" is plural so therefore "includes" is wrong because it is singular. However, since the the construction is also X + preposition + Y "includes" matches with "variety". How come that doesn't work?

Thanks for your time.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:22 am

sonnco Wrote:For the answer to A you say that "approaches" is plural so therefore "includes" is wrong because it is singular. However, since the the construction is also X + preposition + Y "includes" matches with "variety". How come that doesn't work?

Thanks for your time.

ah, no
in this kind of context, "a variety of X" (and some other, similar constructions, such as "a number of X") is basically the same as "several X", and is plural.
p111
Students

by p111 Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:27 am

RonPurewal Wrote:the gmat tends to write sentences in which "which" stands for the ELIGIBLE noun that's closest to the comma.
by "eligible", i mean that the noun has to AGREE IN TERMS OF SINGULAR/PLURAL with the FOLLOWING VERB.

here's an example:

the box of nails, which is on the counter, is to be used on this project.

in this case, "which" CANNOT refer to "nails"

Hi Ron,
In Q.40.. Diagnostic OG-13,
Reconstructing statement: Mr. A managed to win a patent for one of his theories, which was an observation about xyz.
for option B OG says "Which is ambiguous because it could refer to one or to theories/laws"

I understand there is another mistake in the OG option, but how could "which" be ambiguous here. Every time I see a [noun1+prep phrase+relative pronoun]. It takes me for a spin as I cant realize whether rel pronoun refers to noun1 or object of prep phrase.

Pls explain if there is any way to avoid this trap. any rule as such because sometimes meaning is not easy to get for a non-native speaker. :(

Tx.
tim
Course Students

by tim Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:48 am

The bottom line here is that Ron is right, and the OG explanation writers are wrong. One thing to note is that while the OG never gets the ANSWER wrong, they often give bogus reasons why something is wrong. This is one of them. ANY time they EVER use the words "wordy", "awkward", or "concise" would be another example. Whenever you see these words, you should always look for the real reason the answer is wrong. You are correct in observing that there is a real reason B is wrong here that involves the joining of two independent clauses without a comma-and.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
JustinS398
Course Students

by JustinS398 Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:06 pm

Hi, I'm wondering if you can apply the ",which" to the following for my understanding. This follows the "noun1+preposition+noun2." Please disregard the ridiculous meaning of the sentence. I just needed a quick example.

"Dancing in the rain, which is my favorite activity, is dangerous."

Is this sentence technically acceptable? Now I know ",which" only refers to the noun directly before, or implied noun, and can't refer back to an entire clause. However, I see the "Dancing in the rain" as a noun (equivalent but longer than the term"rain-dancing") or noun phrase, whichever term applies. This is a noun phrase correct, not a prepositional phrase?