Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
bcarlosf
Students

SC Background Checks

by bcarlosf Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:14 pm

That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants.

(a) That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants
(b) Clean criminal records of their employees is important to investment banks; hence, a stringent background check are necessary prerequisites for employment
(c) Because they consider it important that all of their employees have a clean criminal record, investment banks require each job applicant to undergo a stringent background check
(d) It is of some importance that all investment banks’ workers have clean criminal records which is why many of them undergo stringent background checks
(e) The reason that investment banks require background checks of their applicants is because they require clean criminal records of their employees

I eliminated correct choice (c) because I perceived an agreement problem with the words "all of their employees have a clean criminal record". Shouldn't it be either "each of their employees has a clean criminal record" or "all of their employees have clean criminal records"?

Please help clarify. Thanks!
gokul_nair1984
Students

Re: SC Background Checks

by gokul_nair1984 Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:44 am

tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:26 pm

Hi bcarlosf, please let us know if you still have questions after following gokul’s link..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
bcarlosf
Students

by bcarlosf Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:43 am

Yes, my question remains. It is not addressed in that thread.
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:32 am

sorry about that. so on the GMAT it is acceptable to assign a singular trait to a group. i'd refer you to the Neanderthal vocal tracts problem, but it's in an older version of the OG. think of it this way: "all humans have a brain". this is totally okay, and in fact preferable to "all humans have brains", because in the latter it is unclear how many brains each human has.. :)
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html