Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
prepp
Students

SC: Box office Receipts

by prepp Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:07 pm

Mgmat CAT 1: SC doubt

Based on recent box office receipts, the public's appetite for documentary films, like nonfiction books, seems to be on the rise.

a) like nonfiction books
b) as nonfiction books
c) as its interest in nonfiction books
d) like their interest in nonfiction books
e) like its interest in nonfiction books

In this question, the correct answer is E. However, from the strategy guides, I learn that LIKE can be followed ONLY by a noun/pronoun. Choice E has a prep phrase too... how can E be the correct answer? Please help me understand if I'm missing something

Another doubt: As its interest -- can you please explain what role does interest play in this sentence. Is it a modifier? I mistook it for a verb
ZhengJ600
Students

Re: SC: Box office Receipts

by ZhengJ600 Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:15 pm

Dear GMAT Instructors,

I have a similar question as the thread laid out above. I think the reason why "like" is correct because it's followed by "its interest", which is a noun. However, if there were no "its interest" before "in nonfiction books", would "as" be correct?

i.e.: Based on recent box office receipts, the public's appetite for documentary films, as in nonfiction books, seems to be on the rise.

Thank you.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:07 am

The basic rule is that 'like' is used to compare nouns, and 'as' is used to compare actions, so 'as' wouldn't be appropriate unless we reformulated the sentence. If we left out the words 'its interest', then the sentence would seem to compare the nouns 'documentary films' and 'nonfiction books'. Here, the intended meaning is that the demand for both of these things is increasing. The logical comparison here is between the 'appetite' for documentaries and the 'interest' in nonfiction books.

In this question, the correct answer is E. However, from the strategy guides, I learn that LIKE can be followed ONLY by a noun/pronoun. Choice E has a prep phrase too... how can E be the correct answer? Please help me understand if I'm missing something

The words 'its interest' isn't a prepositional phrase. Prepositions are short words that show position, such as 'in', 'on', 'of', 'before', etc. The word 'its' is a pronoun.

Another doubt: As its interest -- can you please explain what role does interest play in this sentence. Is it a modifier? I mistook it for a verb

Here, the word 'interest' is a noun.
JbhB682
Course Students

by JbhB682 Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:18 pm

Hi Emily - in option E - possessive pronoun (its) is referring the adjective : Public's

However in another sentence, the its in the below sentence is NOT referring to the adjective but to the NOUN

- Mary’s toy was recently repaired but its still not working.

Here antecedent for its is TOY and not the adjective Mary's obviously

So is my take-away, "its" can refer to
- adjective
- noun

BOTH depending on context ?
esledge
Forum Guests

by esledge Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:57 pm

JbhB682 Wrote:Mary’s toy was recently repaired but its still not working.
In this example, there should have been an apostrophe in "it's," which is a contraction, not possessive:

Mary’s toy was recently repaired but it's still not working.
= Mary’s toy was recently repaired but it is still not working.

So, you actually do have a regular "it" referring to "toy."

JbhB682 Wrote:So is my take-away, "its" can refer to
- adjective
- noun

BOTH depending on context ?
I'd also caution you against thinking of "Mary's" as just an adjective--it may act like one, but it is really a "possessive noun," and this is how you should think of it. The distinction is important for pronouns, which can refer to possessive nouns (if the pronoun itself is possessive), but cannot refer to ordinary adjectives (such as green, small, metallic, etc.).

The take-away you are looking for is that "its" can refer to:
-- a possessive noun: The toy's whimsy is responsible for its enduring popularity.
-- a regular noun: Mary's toy has reached its all-time highest value as wealthy collectors discover its appeal.

In both examples, you could replace "its" with "the toy's" and the sentences would make sense.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT