Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Re:

by RonPurewal Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:39 am

More generally:
One of the following will ALWAYS happen with a "like" / "such as" split (or with ANY meaning-based split):
1/ One of them is total nonsense.
2/ The problem can be decided by other means.

Here, #2 is true, and so "like" vs. "such as" is actually a non-issue.
The choices with "like" can be eliminated easily enough on other bases:
A/ "market" is singular, but "remain" is plural
B/ "those" has no noun to stand for
E/ "the commodities of ____" is nonsense, since ____ ARE the commodities
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:48 am

momo32 Wrote:Or when we use like.
such as the A like B.
B cannot categorize in A.
we cannot say food like rice.

^^ Think through this one a little more. If you have "A like B", then A should always be some sort of category that includes B, and/or includes things of the same kind as B.

Foods like rice can be dangerous for diabetics, since they cause blood sugar to spike within minutes.
("Foods like rice" = high-glycemic carbohydrates)
Rice falls into the category of "food".

I don't trust people like your brother.
Your brother is a person.

Etc.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:48 am

When I say "things of the same kind as B", I'm thinking of sentences like this:
There are a few Uruguayan foods like cottage cheese, but all of them differ from it in some tangible way.
Cottage cheese is not in the category of "Uruguayan foods", but the point is that this category includes some things that are very similar to cottage cheese.

Honestly, if you see a sentence like this last one, it will probably be written with "similar to" rather than "like".

But, interesting that you'd posit a rule that's essentially the exact opposite of the actual rule. I'm curious about where you got that idea.
momo32
Forum Guests

Re: SC : Crack-GMAT Test Q

by momo32 Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:54 am

Dear Ron,

^^
I just thought how to use like correctly. I try to think why the choice is wrong and make a wrong guess. HAHA

THX
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:40 am

So is everything clear now, then?
gbyhats
Forum Guests

by gbyhats Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:29 am

Hi Manhattan Instructors ;)
RonPurewal Wrote:When I say "things of the same kind as B", I'm thinking of sentences like this:
There are a few Uruguayan foods like cottage cheese, but all of them differ from it in some tangible way.
Cottage cheese is not in the category of "Uruguayan foods", but the point is that this category includes some things that are very similar to cottage cheese.

Honestly, if you see a sentence like this last one, it will probably be written with "similar to" rather than "like".

But, interesting that you'd posit a rule that's essentially the exact opposite of the actual rule. I'm curious about where you got that idea.

So can I say, "like" can NOT be used to list items? (aka. like ≠ such as, when we list items)

For example, I cannot say the followings:

1/ After spending several weeks in studying GMAT, now I master sections like "Reading Comprehension", "Critical Reasoning", and "Data Sufficiency".

2/ Recent improvements of rocket engine enable us to explore nearby planet in the solar system like Mars and Jupiter.

But I swap "like" with "such as", these two sentences are grammatical correct?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:02 am

i'm confused by this question...
gbyhats Wrote:But I swap "like" with "such as", these two sentences are grammatical correct?

...because this issue has absolutely nothing to do with grammar; it's exclusively a meaning issue.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:05 am

the point is that "like" suggests actual similarity.

in most cases, attaching "like" to a list of three things will create a nonsense sentence.

e.g., this example (yours):
After spending several weeks in studying GMAT, now I master sections like "Reading Comprehension", "Critical Reasoning", and "Data Sufficiency".

^^ the boldface is clearly impossible, because nothing in the world is actually like all three of these things.

the intention here is clear: the sentence is just giving three examples of something. so, "such as" is appropriate.
gbyhats
Forum Guests

by gbyhats Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:41 am

Hi Ron,

Thank you for your reply!!!

RonPurewal Wrote:the point is that "like" suggests actual similarity.

in most cases, attaching "like" to a list of three things will create a nonsense sentence.

e.g., this example (yours):
After spending several weeks in studying GMAT, now I master sections like "Reading Comprehension", "Critical Reasoning", and "Data Sufficiency".

^^ the boldface is clearly impossible, because nothing in the world is actually like all three of these things.

the intention here is clear: the sentence is just giving three examples of something. so, "such as" is appropriate.

Although I failed to explain my question, you gave me an answer I want exactly, magically! So thank you!!!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:57 am

sure.
DianaG875
Students

Re:

by DianaG875 Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:42 am

dbernst Wrote:
Answer choice E can definitely NOT be correct. The first split I notice is "like" v. "such as." On the GMAT, "like" means "similar to," while "such as" introduces examples. In this case, aluminum and other metals are examples of actual metals, so "like" is incorrect.
[/quote]

I was thinking that "like" is used to compare nouns, while "as" is used to compare clauses. Is that wrong?

Thanks
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:29 pm

It is true that like, when used as a comparison, is used to compare nouns, and as (again when used as a comparison) is used to compare something with a verb / action.

Both of these words (like, as) can also be used in other structures that are not comparisons, though, and that's the case for what is being discussed in this thread. The word "like" can also mean "similar to." The phrase "such as" means "for example."

Here's an example of the correct usage of "like" to mean "similar to":
Most racket sports are like [similar to] tennis in that the goal is to use a racket or paddle to hit an object over a net, but racketball is different because there is no net.

From an official grammar perspective, like doesn't actually mean for example—but most of us now use the word like to mean for example all the time. The GMAT *used* to test the difference in meaning between like (similar to) and such as (for example). But because the meaning of the word like has evolved over time, the GMAT no longer tests this issue. The test writers accept that the word like now means for example in the real world and so they don't put it on the test.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep