Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
WGO612
Students

SC:Don Knotts Lives On

by WGO612 Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:08 am

Hey. It is my first time to post a question here. I am not sure if I violate the rules of Forum.

Although he played many memorable parts in his half-century career, it was "The Andy Griffith Show" and his portrayal of bumbling Deputy Barney Fife that brought Don Knotts TV immortality and five Emmy awards.
A it was "The Andy Griffith Show" and his portrayal of bumbling Deputy Barney Fife that brought Don Knotts TV immortality and five Emmy awards.
B、Don Knott's portrayal of bumbling Deputy Barney Fife on "The Andy Griffith Show" brought him TV immortality and five Emmy awards.
C、Don Knotts earned TV immortality and five Emmy awards for his portrayal of bumbling Deputy Barney Fife on "The Andy Griffith Show."
D、Don Knotts earned TV immortality and five Emmy awards based upon his portrayal on "The Andy Griffith Show" of the bumbling Deputy Barney Fife.
E、it was his portrayal of bumbling Deputy Barney Fife on "The Andy Griffith Show" that brought Don Knotts TV immortality and five Emmy awards.

According to the explanation, B is wrong because "he" in the non-underlined sentence can not refer to Don Knott as Don knott's portrayal is a possessive noun.

However, in the book "Manhattan SC". the sentence"Mary's job is in the jeopardy because of her mistakes." is correct. So I am confused that whether can I use a pronoun to refer to a possessive pronoun such as Don Knott's.

Also, like "A of B". can I use a pronoun to refer to B ?

Thanks a lot.
JbhB682
Course Students

Re: SC:Don Knotts Lives On

by JbhB682 Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:31 pm

I will try - experts can you confirm ?

It depends on the type of pronoun (there are 3 types of pronouns)

If the pronoun is in the "possessive" case, then its okay to use a possessive pronoun to refer to an adjective like "Mary's Job"

However if its a subject pronoun or a object pronoun -- then its not allowed to refer to an adjective but the the subject or object pronoun must refer to an actual noun ...In the manhattan question, the pronoun is a subject pronoun

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject type pronoun - I / You / He/ She/ it / we / they / who (They can be the subject of the sentence)

I arrived late ( the pronoun is the subject of the sentence)
He who arrives late, receives the worst piece (He is the subject)

Object --- they can be the object of verbs or prepositions
No body say him move the table

Possessive - indicates ownership (my /mine / your / yours / his / her / hers / its / our / their / theirs / whose)

Mary's job is in problem because of her [Mary's] mistake
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: SC:Don Knotts Lives On

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:58 am

You're on the right lines JbhB682, although your explanation is quite complicated (I'm not sure if I fully understand it). Also, there are more than 3 kinds of pronouns, but we don't have to be grammar experts for GMAT.

The basic problem with B is that, in general, pronouns can't refer to possessive nouns. In answer B, 'his' refers to 'Don Knott's', and that's incorrect. However, you're right that 'Mary's job is in the jeopardy because of her mistakes.' is an okay sentence, but this is a special case. Here, we have a possessive pronoun referring to a possessive noun, and that's okay.

Take a look at this thread for a similar discussion: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... 14874.html