Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
smitakumar.s
Students

SC GMAT 5th Edition Chapter 6 Modifier Problem Set #13

by smitakumar.s Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:03 am

Hi All,

In the Manhattan SC GMAT strategy Guide, 5th edition, Chapter 6 (Modifiers) - Problem set Question #13

Regina returned the dress to the store, which was torn at one of the seams.

This seems straightforward - rearrange the relative pronoun 'which' so that it modifies the right noun, in this case the dress rather than the store.

However my question is regarding the usage of That versus which.

Regina returned the dress to the store. This would be incomplete in terms of context because we don't know which dress, why etc?
Regina returned the dress that was torn at one of the seams to the store. This makes the detail of the dress being torn, an essential aspect of the sentence.

So shouldn't we use that instead of which?

Thanks!
SK
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: SC GMAT 5th Edition Chapter 6 Modifier Problem Set #13

by jnelson0612 Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:22 am

smitakumar.s Wrote:Hi All,

In the Manhattan SC GMAT strategy Guide, 5th edition, Chapter 6 (Modifiers) - Problem set Question #13

Regina returned the dress to the store, which was torn at one of the seams.

This seems straightforward - rearrange the relative pronoun 'which' so that it modifies the right noun, in this case the dress rather than the store.

However my question is regarding the usage of That versus which.

Regina returned the dress to the store. This would be incomplete in terms of context because we don't know which dress, why etc?
Regina returned the dress that was torn at one of the seams to the store. This makes the detail of the dress being torn, an essential aspect of the sentence.

So shouldn't we use that instead of which?

Thanks!
SK

Hi Smita,
I agree with you that your sentence using "that" is a good and clear sentence.

The GMAT would also accept:
Regina returned the dress, which was torn at one of the seams, to the store.

The issue here is the essential ("that") vs. non-essential modifier ("which"). It is my understanding that they will not ask you to choose between the two as the only grammar or meaning issue in the sentence. You will always have something else to go on.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor