Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
pmal04

SC:GMATp:Scientists say that each of the photographs

by pmal04 Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:15 am

Scientists say that each of the photographs taken of the Ares Villas plain by the Mars Pathfinder indicate the overwhelming extent to flooding on the planet billions of years ago and the degree that rocks were scattered by its force.
A. indicate the overwhelming extent to flooding on the planet billions of years ago and the degree that
B. indicate that the extent of the floods on the planet billions of years ago was overwhelming and the degree to which
C. indicate the overwhelming extent of the floods on the planet billions of years ago and the degree to which
D. indicates the overwhelming extent of the flooding on the planet billions of years ago and the degree to which
E. indicates the overwhelming extent to flooding on the planet billions of years ago and the degree that

I knew that the use of 'indicate that' is correct but here choice B is wrong. Could you please discuss which one is right and why?
nathaliewalton

Re: SC:GMATp:Scientists say that each of the photographs

by nathaliewalton Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:43 am

I'm just taking a stab at this but....If you look at the subject "EACH of the photographs". You will see that it is singular. Therefore to say each of the photographs indicate is incorrect. It needs to be "indicates".

I suspect that D is correct. Could you confirm this and does it make sense?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:45 am

pmal04 Wrote:Scientists say that each of the photographs taken of the Ares Villas plain by the Mars Pathfinder indicate the overwhelming extent to flooding on the planet billions of years ago and the degree that rocks were scattered by its force.
A. indicate the overwhelming extent to flooding on the planet billions of years ago and the degree that
B. indicate that the extent of the floods on the planet billions of years ago was overwhelming and the degree to which
C. indicate the overwhelming extent of the floods on the planet billions of years ago and the degree to which
D. indicates the overwhelming extent of the flooding on the planet billions of years ago and the degree to which
E. indicates the overwhelming extent to flooding on the planet billions of years ago and the degree that

I knew that the use of 'indicate that' is correct but here choice B is wrong.

first of all, no. "indicate" is incorrect, because the SUBJECT is "EACH of the photographs". that subject is singular, so you need a singular verb, "indicates".

--

here is a big, huge, important principle for you to heed:
just because one form of an idiom is correct, you can't infer that OTHER forms are INCORRECT.
many words / idioms are perfectly well used in two or more ways.
"indicate" is one of these. you can indicate THAT (subject + verb), or you can indicate (NOUN).
both are fine.
unfortunately for you, the correct answer to this problem, (d), uses the other correct version.

--

(a)
* "each" is singular, so "indicate" is wrong.
* "extent TO" is unidiomatic; it should be "extent OF".
* "degree THAT" doesn't work. since things happen TO a degree, you have to preserve this preposition; therefore, you have to say "degree TO WHICH".

(b)
* not parallel.
the second part, "the degree to which...", is a NOUN PHRASE centered on the noun "degree". to make this parallel, the first part should be another noun phrase, centered on the noun "extent". since this better parallelism is present in other choices, this choice is wrong. NEVER, EVER, choose an answer choice with parallelism that is inferior to the parallelism in other choices.

(c)

(d) = correct
note the proper parallelism.
note the proper SV agreement.

(e)
* "degree THAT" doesn't work. since things happen TO a degree, you have to preserve this preposition; therefore, you have to say "degree TO WHICH".
pmal04

by pmal04 Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:09 am

Thanks a lot Ron for clearing my doubts. OA is D.
Ben Ku
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by Ben Ku Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:09 pm

I'm glad it helped!
Ben Ku
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
direstraits007
Students

by direstraits007 Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:19 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
(e)

Ron,

As you said "extent to" is unidiomatic. Is the usage of "extent to which" is right or wrong. I've seen this usage in many questions.

Thanks!

GeeMate.
chuckberry007
Students

by chuckberry007 Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:21 am

Hi Ron,

Ans choice (b),

the second part, "the degree to which...", is a NOUN PHRASE centered on the noun "degree". to make this parallel, the first part should be another noun phrase, centered on the noun "extent". since this better parallelism is present in other choices, this choice is wrong.

Can you give an example? how to make it parallel? I still can't see the parallelism error here.

Thanks
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:45 am

chuckberry007 Wrote:Can you give an example? how to make it parallel?

the best way to make it parallel is to make it look like (d), which is the correct answer.

note that (d) has
* the overwhelming extent...
* the degree...

while (b) has
* that the extent is...
* the degree...

(d) is definitely more parallel.
judyyang8888
Students

by judyyang8888 Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:01 pm

Thanks for all the great explanation..

The correct sentence is:

Scientists say that each of the photographs taken of the Ares Vallis plain by the Mars Pathfinder indicatesthe overwhelming extent of the flooding on the planet billions of years ago and the degree to which rocks were scattered by its force.

Why" its force" refers to "rocks" in the clause "rocks were scattered by its force"? How to interpret the single/plural difference here? Thanks~~~
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:31 am

judyyang8888 Wrote:Thanks for all the great explanation..

The correct sentence is:

Scientists say that each of the photographs taken of the Ares Vallis plain by the Mars Pathfinder indicatesthe overwhelming extent of the flooding on the planet billions of years ago and the degree to which rocks were scattered by its force.

Why" its force" refers to "rocks" in the clause "rocks were scattered by its force"? How to interpret the single/plural difference here? Thanks~~~

it doesn't; it refers to "flooding".
logically, the only thing in the sentence that would have had enough force to scatter a bunch of rocks was the flooding. therefore, "it(s force)" refers to the flooding.

why did you think it had to refer to the rocks?
nowwithgmat
Forum Guests

by nowwithgmat Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:48 am

RonPurewal Wrote:

The correct sentence is:

logically, the only thing in the sentence that would have had enough force to scatter a bunch of rocks was the flooding. therefore, "it(s force)" refers to the flooding.

hello ron

..indicate that the extent of the floods on the planet billions of years ago was overwhelming and the degree to which rocks were scattered by its force.

Does "its" refers to "the extent to flood" in option B ..??
if not it seems to me another err inn option- B " floods "is plural but "its" is singular antecedent..which is correct in OA by making gerund "flooding" and make it singular

please correct me if i do make any nonsense error.

thanx in advance
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:04 pm

nowwithgmat Wrote:
RonPurewal Wrote:

The correct sentence is:

hello ron

..indicate that the extent of the floods on the planet billions of years ago was overwhelming and the degree to which rocks were scattered by its force.

Does "its" refers to "the extent to flood" in option B ..??
if not it seems to me another err inn option- B " floods "is plural but "its" is singular antecedent..which is correct in OA by making gerund "flooding" and make it singular

please correct me if i do make any nonsense error.

thanx in advance

Your thinking is correct and another reason (besides the one Ron mentioned) B is wrong.
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
lemonperb
Prospective Students

by lemonperb Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:38 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:(e)

Hello Ron, you mentioned that "extent TO" is unidiomatic,
but the idiom "to some extent"(=to some degree) is right?
In E, "extent to+Noun." is wrong, what if "extent to which"?
lemonperb
Prospective Students

by lemonperb Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:12 am

lemonperb Wrote:Hello Ron, you mentioned that "extent TO" is unidiomatic,
but the idiom "to some extent"(=to some degree) is right?
In E, "extent to+Noun." is wrong, what if "extent to which"?

There is an example I find from Manhattan SC Guide:

"Thumbs part up" is the EXTENT TO WHICH we enjoyed the film.

in this case, what does "which" refers to? "The film" or "Thumbs part up"?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:28 pm

That's "to which".
"Extent" is unrelated to "to". Two different constructions that just happen to occur in sequence.

This can happen in lots and lots of ways"”basically, anything ending with "extent" + anything starting with "to".
E.g., [i]Jon actually quit using drugs because Melanie was worried. I never thought he would change his behavior to such an extent to make her happy.

(Here, "which" = "the extent".)