Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
RickyH486
Students

SC Guide 8, 6th ed - page 93 question 3 Parallelism

by RickyH486 Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:04 am

Hello MGMAT instructors:
The instruction for this question is to fix the error of parallelism in the underlined portion
Question 3: Many teachers choose to seek employment in the suburbs rather than facing low salaries in the city.
My answer: Many teachers choose to seek employment [in the suburbs] rather than [in the city] where they face low salaries.
I thought the prepositional phrases were the parallel elements.
My questions about this are 1. is the parallelism of my sentence correct? (i.e can we have parallelism between a prepositional phrase and a prepositional phrase+modifier.)
2. is my sentence correct in terms of meanings?

Thanks
tim
Course Students

Re: SC Guide 8, 6th ed - page 93 question 3 Parallelism

by tim Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:13 pm

Strictly speaking, the parallelism is fine as concerns the parts in brackets. However, I'm not a fan of the modifier you've placed after "city", as it's not clear what that part is modifying. Don't worry so much about this though, because on the GMAT you will *never* be asked to make up a correct version of anything. All you have to do is find which four answer choices are wrong. :)
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html