Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
PavanK217
Course Students

SC: modifier and meaning issue

by PavanK217 Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:51 pm

Hi folks,

I am unable to figure out why Manhattan SC guide labels this example as incorrect due to ambiguous meaning.

THE DRIVER PICKED UP THE PEOPLE WHO HAD BEEN WAITING AT THE AIRPORT.

As per my logic, the 'who' modifier correctly modifies the people by providing more information about the group of people picked up.

Can you help understand why how the above sentence would result in a meaning issue?

Hi @StaceyKoprince, would you be able to help?
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: SC: modifier and meaning issue

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:33 pm

I've searched our books, but I can't find that example. Please could you tell me which book and page (or chapter) it's from?
PavanK217
Course Students

by PavanK217 Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:06 pm

This question is from the 6th edition, guide 8, chapter 2, page 35, and problem #2.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:25 am

Thanks for clarifying. It looks like this sentence has been subject to some revisions: in later editions we're revised and simplified it. I don't see it in that form in my editions. I agree with you that the sentence 'The driver picked up the people who had been waiting at the airport.' is okay, or at least not sufficiently unclear to be marked incorrect on GMAT.

The root of the issue is, however, a good one. A prepositional modifier - such as 'at the airport' - alters the meaning of the sentence depending on where it's located. The intended issue is probably that 'at the airport' could be describing where the driver picked people up, or where the people were waiting. However, I think it's too slight an issue to be tested in a real GMAT problem.

You can see some more discussion here: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... 26143.html