Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
Rolodex

* SC: Modifier Problem (Analgesics)

by Rolodex Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:37 am

1. In large doses, analgesics that work in the brain as antagonists to certain chemicals have caused psychological disturbances in patients, which may limit their potential to relieve severe pain.
(A) which may limit their potential to relieve (which is modifying patients in place of psychological disturbances)
(B) which may limit their potential for relieving (which is modifying patients in place of psychological disturbances)
(C) which may limit such analgesics’ potential to relieve (which is modifying patients in place of psychological disturbances).
(D) an effect that may limit their potential to relieve
(E) an effect that may limit the potential of such analgesics for relieving

In this Q I am b/w D and E.
D. "thier" I think is ambiguous and could refer back to patients or anlalgesics and hence I want to rule D out
E. "for relieving" - is this wrong. I know " ...ing" is suggesting an activity that began in the past and is still continuing.
abhishek

by abhishek Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:06 am

D is certainly wrong, Correct answer has to be E. Consider the statement "It is ineffective in relieving pain", Whats wrong with this construction ? I think it is perfectly correct.

-ing does not suggest an activity that begin in the past and is still continuing, that is indicated by the present perfect, "it has been relieving pain" would mean that.

-ing here refers to it's potential of being someting that is effective in releiving pain can get limited.
jwinawer
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jwinawer Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:35 pm

Abhishek is on the money. Right answer is E. "ing" is OK. Rolodex is also correct that "their" is ambiguous in D, and hence D is wrong. Nice work!

by guest Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:59 pm

Could you please explain further - why shall we prefer - ing in this case ?

by Guest Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:28 pm

Here is what Stacy had to say about this problem on another forum (http://www.beatthegmat.com/1000-sc-391-t1467.html)

Bad question - don't study it. But do realize that "which" indicates a noun modifier and noun modifiers are required to be placed next to the noun they modify.

"which may limit their potential to relieve" is not referring to patients - it's referring to the phenomenon or effect described earlier in the sentence. That is, this effect is what is limiting the potential to relieve.

That eliminates A, B, and C, but D and E also have grammar problems. So don't study this one overall
esledge
Forum Guests

by esledge Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:12 am

This question is not from our CAT exams (yes, we do check!). Please post its true source, or we will have to delete it.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT