Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
BlairM962
Course Students

SC - Modifiers Lesson - Q4

by BlairM962 Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:48 am

The correct answer of this question is - Scientists observed ..... 20 cms of sediments from the Baltic sea, findings consistent with the growth of industrial activities in the area.

I am a bit confused with this sentence structure - Comma + noun + Adj .... would it be a run on sentence? It's like saying - Alice likes goldenretrivers, dogs cute??

Thank you team.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: SC - Modifiers Lesson - Q4

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:01 am

To be clear, this problem is taken from the Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review.

The modifier used in this sentence has the form CLAUSE, NOUN + modifier. I agree that it sounds odd in many circumstances; I think of it as the kind of formal language an old professor might use. However, it makes sense logically. The noun refers back to the clause, and then the modifier gives extra information about the noun. Here are a couple more (correct) examples:

Neil Armstrong walked on the moon in 1969, an event that was watched by millions across the globe.
The earthquake caused widespread damage, a disaster from which the country will take years to recover.
BlairM962
Course Students

by BlairM962 Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:32 am

Thank you very much Sage!
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:49 am

You're welcome.