Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
aimhier
Forum Guests

SC Q from MGMAT Thursdays with Ron

by aimhier Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:44 pm

Hi Ron,
Here is a Q from your Thursdays with Ron session:

Timetables for all Russian railway stations use Moscow time; even those located in such-flung locales as magadan are eight time zones east of Moscow.

A same
B Moscow time is used for timetables at all Russian railway stations - even those located in such far- flung areas as Magadan, eight time zones east of .
C the timetables use Moscow time at all Russian railway stations- even though locations in such far-flung areas as magadan are eight time zones east from
D MOSCOW time is used at Russian railway stations for all timetables - even those locations in areas as far-flung as magadan, eight time zones to east from
E At all Russian railway stations, the timetables use Moscow time even in locations that are in such far-flung
areas as Magadan, which is eight time zones to the east of

My questions are:
1 Can i eliminate ACE because "timetables can not get up and use Moscow time" as "timetables" is not human, which require passive voice?

2 is "even those located" in B better than " even those locations" in D because of simplisity?

Thanks
RonPurewal
Students

Re: SC Q from MGMAT Thursdays with Ron

by RonPurewal Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:12 am

aimhier Wrote:1 Can i eliminate ACE because "timetables can not get up and use Moscow time" as "timetables" is not human, which require passive voice?

yes.

2 is "even those located" in B better than " even those locations" in D because of simplisity?

i wouldn't say that "simplicity" is the issue here. the issue is the placement of modifiers.
in (b), "even those located..." is placed directly adjacent to "Russian railway stations". that placement is ideal, since "those" actually refers to the railway stations.
in (d), on the other hand, "even those locations..." is placed next to "timetables", leading to needless confusion.

remember, you don't have to decide ahead of time where the modifiers should go -- all you have to do is compare the answer choices and see which one has the best placement.