Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
syflysun1
Students

SC QBANK -Q11

by syflysun1 Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:32 am

The Diary of Anne Frank tells the true story of a young girl and her family that were hidden during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands by a gentile Dutch couple, though they were eventually discovered.

a>that were hidden during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands by a gentile Dutch couple, though they were eventually discovered

b>that were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands, though they were eventually discovered

c>whom a gentile Dutch couple hid during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered

d>who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered

e>who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands even though they were eventually discovered

Small question for E's explanation
(E) The pronoun "they" is ambiguous - it could refer to the family or to the couple.

I think here the family or the couple belongs to collective noun, which is singular. "They" is incorrect instead of ambiguous.
gorav.s
Course Students

Re: SC QBANK -Q11

by gorav.s Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:51 am

Please post the original answer .

I think it is C. as we require whom after that.

in E --- I agree couple is a collective noun - singular.
but girl and her family -- is a plural.
anoo.anand
Students

by anoo.anand Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:38 am

D - who were hidden is the right form...Who referring to family and her...

in c>whom a gentile Dutch couple hid during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered

I think we need a simple past tense here..
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:39 am

syflysun1 Wrote:I think here the family or the couple belongs to collective noun, which is singular. "They" is incorrect instead of ambiguous.

nope.
"a young girl and her family" would be they.

in fact, you can NEVER use a pronoun to refer to only half of "X and Y". so you're not allowed to use a pronoun to refer to just "a young girl", or to just "her family".
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:51 am

gorav.s Wrote:Please post the original answer .

I think it is C. as we require whom after that.

in E --- I agree couple is a collective noun - singular.
but girl and her family -- is a plural.

the answer is (d).

(c) is incorrect because of the faulty parallelism between "whom a gentile dutch couple hid" and "...but were"