Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
gs.abhinav
Students

SC: Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that

by gs.abhinav Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:07 am

Hi,

This is in reference to the following question I came across in CAT1. It tests the usage of "Instead of" and "Rather than".

I had originally posted my question in a related discussion here: instead-of-vs-rather-than-t7242.html but I am going to post it here again because its related to the CAT verbal.

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.

c) Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

d) Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

The answer explanation states that C is wrong because it uses the verb "Accepting" with the phrase "Instead of". Clearly "accepting" is not a verb here and Emily has confirmed that it is acceptable for "instead of" to take accept a noun. See her post here: instead-of-vs-rather-than-t7242.html

Why is C wrong then?

Thanks.
tim
Course Students

Re: SC: Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that

by tim Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:20 pm

rather-than-accept-the-conventional-wisdom-that-the-earth-t1177.html

That post was most recently replied to on July 5, two days before you posted your query. According to my calculations, that post was the fourth post from the top on the day you posted your question. Not cool - people, be sure to check whether your question has already been answered before posting the EXACT SAME QUESTION. i am locking this topic because your question has already been addressed in TWO other threads - the one you refer to and the one i refer to above..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html