Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
RonPurewal
Students

Re: SC sound

by RonPurewal Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:59 am

^^

do not concentrate on terminology. doing so will hinder your learning, by making it difficult or even impossible for you to understand anything that doesn't conform neatly to the categories for which you have terms.

think about how you use your own native language flexibly-- i bet you don't know the names for the vast majority of the constructions that you use. and that's the reason why you're able to use so many different constructions.
yuanz290
Forum Guests

by yuanz290 Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:32 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
1:We all know in choice B,(having its acoustic energy dissipated by)seems to suggest that the boundaries dissipate the energy(that's opposite to the fact),and I WANT TO KNOW if we replace "as a result of" with "by" in chice D,and we ignore the ambiguity "from being dissipated by" in the changed chance D,then which is a better answer?C or the changed D?In my opinion,the changed D is better,because the energy should be dissipate.

"if i get rid of one bad thing, and ignore the other bad thing (!!), then is this choice ok?"

this is a non-question; i think you can understand why.

Yes,I am really stupid in this!thanks a lot
yuanz290
Forum Guests

by yuanz290 Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:59 am

E cannot be read in that way.

this "by" must be part of a passive construction; e.g., I want to prevent my jewelry from being stolen by burglars while I'm on vacation.

this kind of thing would theoretically work with a dedicated noun form (e.g., I want to install a system that will prevent theft by burglars).[/quote]

So you meant "A do sth by sth/sb" is a wrong sentence,because "by"must use in passive voice or in some constructions like "theft by burglars" right?

And so in E,the "by" is nonsense,because there is no passive voice construction.(both preventing and dissipating are active),right?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:58 am

yuanz290 Wrote:So you meant "A do sth by sth/sb" is a wrong sentence,because "by"must use in passive voice or in some constructions like "theft by burglars" right?

be careful with your generalizations.

there are, indeed, some sentences fitting this template in which "by ___" isn't a passive construction.
mostly, those are going to be constructions in which "by ___" is an idiomatically acceptable way to say "using ___ as a means". e.g., The demonstrators took control of the building by force.)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:58 am

^^ in other words, the commentary you're quoting does not necessarily apply beyond the actual context of the problem at hand--a warning that applies equally to any other comments i might make on this forum, unless i explicitly state that some principle applies more generally.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:59 am

yuanz290 Wrote:And so in E,the "by" is nonsense,because there is no passive voice construction.(both preventing and dissipating are active),right?

yes, that was the point.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:01 am

yuanz290 Wrote:E cannot be read in that way.

this "by" must be part of a passive construction; e.g., I want to prevent my jewelry from being stolen by burglars while I'm on vacation.

this kind of thing would theoretically work with a dedicated noun form (e.g., I want to install a system that will prevent theft by burglars).

So you meant "A do sth by sth/sb" is a wrong sentence,because "by"must use in passive voice or in some constructions like "theft by burglars" right?

And so in E,the "by" is nonsense,because there is no passive voice construction.(both preventing and dissipating are active),right?

and, finally, be careful with your quote/unquote tags.
you missed a "start quote" tag here, with the result that my words (which you're trying to quote) appear at first to be the substance of your post.
Eddie Gutia
Students

by Eddie Gutia Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:41 pm

Ron,

Like you suggested, I tried to create a sentence with the same structure to understand the question better.

a) St. Lucas is a pathetic school, banned from sending its students to the newly opened museum

b) St. Lucas is a pathetic school, its students banned from sending (being sent) to the newly opened museum

According to the reasoning behind the original question, are you saying that "a" is wrong?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:58 pm

Eddie Gutia Wrote:Ron,

Like you suggested, I tried to create a sentence with the same structure to understand the question better.

a) St. Lucas is a pathetic school, banned from sending its students to the newly opened museum

b) St. Lucas is a pathetic school, its students banned from sending (being sent) to the newly opened museum

According to the reasoning behind the original question, are you saying that "a" is wrong?

both of those are fine.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:58 pm

the way you've changed the sentence here is instrumental:

a/
who/what is "banned from sending..."? ...the school. so, this is fine.

b/
who/what is "banned from being sent..."? ...the students. so, this is also fine.

(this change doesn't correspond to anything in the original.)
NarenS469
Students

by NarenS469 Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:23 pm

Hello Ron,

I need some clarification on your feedback (3rd page):-

"__ed by someone/something" is a passive form. Someone/something is ___ed by someone/something else.

"verbING" is an active modifier form. I.e., when "verbING" is used as modifier, it always means that someone/something "verbs", and never means that someone/something "is verbed".
"verbING" thus cannot be used with the "by someone/something" construction.

Option C has the same construction : "...from dissipating by boundaries'

So in this case can you explain how C differs.

Thanks,

Naren
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:38 am

you're parsing the sentence incorrectly.
more fundamentally, if you're analyzing the sentence that way, then you haven't figured out what the sentence actually SAYS.
oops.

step 1 of EVERY sentence correction problem is ALWAYS "what does this sentence mean?"

the point of this sentence is that the boundaries STOP the energy from dissipating.
your interpretation above is precisely the opposite, so, you should reject that interpretation immediately.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:39 am

analogy for how the sentence actually works:

I was driven to the airport by my uncle.

I was kept from sleeping by the noise.

The energy is prevented from dissipating by the boundaries.
NarenS469
Students

by NarenS469 Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:55 pm

Hi Ron,

Let me know if my understanding is right:

If the the verb-ing is not part of the main verb then it's ok if it's in a 'by something/someone' / passive construction.

You're right getting what the sentence means is the fastest and best way to eliminate wrong choices, but some times with really long sentences even after re-reading 2 times I don't really understand what it means then I usually try to eliminate using rules if possible.

Thanks for the help.

Naren
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:40 am

NarenS469 Wrote:If the the verb-ing is not part of the main verb then it's ok if it's in a 'by something/someone' / passive construction.

this ^^ is too abstract for ron.
tried reading it a few times... sorry, i don't understand what you are asking.

could you please provide an example of the type of construction you're asking about?
thanks.