Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
JbhB682
Course Students

SC Strategy Guide (6th Edition) - Page 76

by JbhB682 Tue May 30, 2017 11:35 am

Hello -- i had a question re: a sentence i saw on the Manhattan SC Strategy Guide (6th Edition) ...Page 76 ...below is the correct sentence

Correct : Mary buys cookies made with SugarFree, an artificial sweetener, which tastes as sweet as the corn syrup that her brother loves but which there are fewer calories than in an equivalent amount of syrup.

Explanation given for the 2nd which was : this is parallel to the first relative clause (which tastes .....brother loves)

Question :

---- are both clauses (red and green) , noun modifiers ?
---- why do we believe both clauses need to be parallel -- is it because they refer to the same noun, Sugar Free
RonPurewal
Students

Re: SC Strategy Guide (6th Edition) - Page 76

by RonPurewal Wed May 31, 2017 3:08 pm

are you sure you've transcribed that sentence correctly?

...because the way you've written it, the green part is not only ungrammatical, but pretty much nonsense. ("which there are..."? huh?)

please check your transcription. thank you.
abhisheks901
Students

by abhisheks901 Mon May 21, 2018 2:29 am

Mary buys cookies made with SugarFree, an artificial sweetener, which tastes as sweet as the corn syrup that her brother loves but having fewer calories than in an equivalent amount of corn syrup.
Manhattan Sc guide page 74, chapter 4 question 4

right answer given is : Mary buys cookies made with the artificial sweetener sugarfree, which tastes as sweet as the corn syrup that her brother loves but which has fewer calories than DOES an equivalent amount of corn syrup.

My query is : why we put "DOES" in place of "IN"?

Thanks
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon May 21, 2018 4:08 am

We've got marker words 'fewer...than...' that show that there's a comparison here. We want to make sure that the comparison is parallel, i.e. that we're comparing the same kind of thing using parallel phrases. A simplified, clear version of this part of the sentence would be:
SugarFree has fewer calories than an equivalent amount of corn syrup has.
It's clear that we're comparing the number of calories that each one has. Because it can sound clunky to keep repeating the verb 'has', we can replace the second 'has' with a helper verb of the same tense, in this case 'does'.
SugarFree has fewer calories than an equivalent amount of corn syrup does.
Further, GMAT often tries to trick you by reversing the order of the verb and subject. This is just an old-fashioned construction - it may sound wrong but it's actually correct:
SugarFree has fewer calories than does an equivalent amount of corn syrup.