sc

Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
laurenplus

sc

by laurenplus Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:16 pm

In 1945, after a career as First Lady in which she shattered expectations more audaciously than either Abigail Adams or Dolly Madison ever had been, Eleanor Roosevelt was appointed a delegate to the United Nations General Assembly by President Harry S Truman.

(A) more audaciously than either Abigail Adams or Dolly Madison ever had been, Eleanor Roosevelt was appointed a delegate to the United Nations General Assembly by President Harry S Truman
(B) more audaciously than either Abigail Adams or Dolly Madison, President Harry S Truman had Eleanor Roosevelt appointed to be a delegate to the United Nations General Assembly
(C) with an audacity never matched in the case of Abigail Adams or Dolly Madison, President Harry S Truman had Eleanor Roosevelt appointed as a delegate to the United Nations General Assembly
(D) with an audacity never matched by Abigail Adams or Dolly Madison, Eleanor Roosevelt was appointed a delegate to the United Nations General Assembly by President Harry S Truman
(E) with an audacity never matched either in the case of Abigail Adams or of Dolly Madison's, Eleanor Roosevelt was appointed to be a delegate to the United Nations General Assembly by President Harry S Truman

Would you please advice in D, "was appointed a delegate" correct? I thought it should say" was appointed as a delegate"
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:31 pm

Please follow protocol: your subject should be the first 5 to 8 words of the problem. Thanks.

Nope - we appoint someone something. We don't appoint someone as something.

She was appointed president.
He was appointed chief dog-catcher.
etc.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
glory

by glory Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:12 am

[quote="skoprince"]Please follow protocol: your subject should be the first 5 to 8 words of the problem. Thanks.

etc.[/quote)

Hi stacey, here in this question, I think the answer is D. Can you tell me why A is wrong and why D is right.

I think that comparison in A is wrong; the statement on both sides of " more audiaciously than" are not structurally parallel although they are logical parallel.

However in C the adverb phrase : with the audacity ..." clearly express the intended meaning.

Please suggest.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:44 pm

glory Wrote:
skoprince Wrote:Please follow protocol: your subject should be the first 5 to 8 words of the problem. Thanks.

etc.[/quote)

Hi stacey, here in this question, I think the answer is D. Can you tell me why A is wrong and why D is right.

I think that comparison in A is wrong; the statement on both sides of " more audiaciously than" are not structurally parallel although they are logical parallel.

However in C the adverb phrase : with the audacity ..." clearly express the intended meaning.

Please suggest.

well, you've answered your own question about choice a: the parallelism is horrible. there is nothing whatsoever to which 'had been' can be parallel.

choice c: i suppose the adverb phrase is ok, but 'in the case of' is definitely inferior to 'by' (as in the correct answer choice d).
not only does 'in the case of' not express the meaning as clearly, but it's also needlessly wordy.

in any case, it seems that you already understand why choice a is wrong. any other questions?

--

also, i'm pleased that there's no period after 's' in harry s truman; after all, his full middle name was 's'.
soundok
Forum Guests

Re: sc

by soundok Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:57 am

If I corret the choice A to be

(A) more audaciously than either Abigail Adams or Dolly Madison ever "DID" or "HAD"

Is it corret?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:17 am

soundok Wrote:If I corret the choice A to be

(A) more audaciously than either Abigail Adams or Dolly Madison ever "DID" or "HAD"

Is it corret?

i would think so.
peter_griffin
Course Students

by peter_griffin Fri May 31, 2013 10:24 am

While i do think choice A sounds wrong (purely guessing) can someone explain to me what exactly is the issue with a , particularly the first clause.

(A) more audaciously than either Abigail Adams or Dolly Madison ever had been, Eleanor Roosevelt was appointed a delegate to the United Nations General Assembly by President Harry S Truman

Something looks fishy around "ever had been"

Thanks in advance
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:39 pm

peter_griffin Wrote:While i do think choice A sounds wrong (purely guessing) can someone explain to me what exactly is the issue with a , particularly the first clause.

there's nothing to which "had been" can refer / be parallel, so that helping verb is meaningless.
cshen02
Forum Guests

by cshen02 Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:50 am

Hi there,
I don't quite get the meaning of this sentence, especially the opening.
after a career as First Lady in which she shattered expectations

I read it as She outperformed public expectation of First Lady. Right?
"which" refers to "a career as First Lady", but what does "in" do here? does it belong to expectation in?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:26 pm

cshen02 Wrote:Hi there,
I don't quite get the meaning of this sentence, especially the opening.
after a career as First Lady in which she shattered expectations

I read it as She outperformed public expectation of First Lady. Right?
"which" refers to "a career as First Lady", but what does "in" do here? does it belong to expectation in?

It's best to illustrate by example:

I shop at this grocery store --> the grocery store at which I shop

I spoke with this person --> the person with whom I spoke

She shattered expectations in this career --> a career in which she shattered expectations
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:27 pm

In other words, you should think of "in which" (and "with whom" and "at which") as a unit that begins a modifier, much like "which" itself.
cshen02
Forum Guests

by cshen02 Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:24 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:In other words, you should think of "in which" (and "with whom" and "at which") as a unit that begins a modifier, much like "which" itself.

Prompt reply indeed! Thanks Ron :)
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:45 pm

cshen02 Wrote:
RonPurewal Wrote:In other words, you should think of "in which" (and "with whom" and "at which") as a unit that begins a modifier, much like "which" itself.

Prompt reply indeed! Thanks Ron :)

:-)
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
lindaliu9273
Prospective Students

by lindaliu9273 Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:08 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
peter_griffin Wrote:While i do think choice A sounds wrong (purely guessing) can someone explain to me what exactly is the issue with a , particularly the first clause.

there's nothing to which "had been" can refer / be parallel, so that helping verb is meaningless.

Hi Ron,

in A, Is "more" correctly placed? Or should it be placed before "expectations"?

I mess up here.

Thank you.
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:35 am

laurenplus Wrote:In 1945, after a career as First Lady in which she shattered expectations more audaciously than either Abigail Adams or Dolly Madison ever had been, Eleanor Roosevelt was appointed a delegate to the United Nations General Assembly by President Harry S Truman.

(B) more audaciously than either Abigail Adams or Dolly Madison, President Harry S Truman had Eleanor Roosevelt appointed to be a delegate to the United Nations General Assembly
(C) with an audacity never matched in the case of Abigail Adams or Dolly Madison, President Harry S Truman had Eleanor Roosevelt appointed as a delegate to the United Nations General Assembly
(D) with an audacity never matched by Abigail Adams or Dolly Madison, Eleanor Roosevelt was appointed a delegate to the United Nations General Assembly by President Harry S Truman
(E) with an audacity never matched either in the case of Abigail Adams or of Dolly Madison's, Eleanor Roosevelt was appointed to be a delegate to the United Nations General Assembly by President Harry S Truman

Would you please advice in D, "was appointed a delegate" correct? I thought it should say" was appointed as a delegate"

I agree that D is best.
however, I do not understand the phrase

"audacity matched by person A and person B"

we should say

"audacity atuched by that (audacity) of person A and person B"

pls, explain