Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
sharmin.karim
Course Students

SC: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are

by sharmin.karim Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:45 pm

The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are evident in its profits, which increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it fell over the last two years.

A. which increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it fell

B. which had increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it had fallen

C. which have increased five percent during the first three months of this year after falling over the last two years

D. with a five percent increase during the first three months of this year after falling

E. with a five percent increase during the first three months of this year after having fallen

Correct answer is C. I answered A. Is A wrong b/c the pronoun "it" could refer to either "results" or "profits?" Also, do we need the "have" before increased to indicate the profits are still increasing since the beginning part of the sentence is in the present tense?
amitganguly2k12
Forum Guests

Re: SC: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are

by amitganguly2k12 Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:40 pm

category:verb and pronoun error

The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are evident in its profits, which increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it fell over the last two years.

Profits - plural noun
have is essential for the subordinate clause.
also,increased and falling are in parallel form of the verbs.

So,C.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:31 am

sharmin.karim Wrote:The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are evident in its profits, which increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it fell over the last two years.

A. which increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it fell

B. which had increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it had fallen

C. which have increased five percent during the first three months of this year after falling over the last two years

D. with a five percent increase during the first three months of this year after falling

E. with a five percent increase during the first three months of this year after having fallen

Correct answer is C. I answered A. Is A wrong b/c the pronoun "it" could refer to either "results" or "profits?" Also, do we need the "have" before increased to indicate the profits are still increasing since the beginning part of the sentence is in the present tense?

"it" is singular. "profits" is plural. therefore, (a) is wrong, period.
you can NEVER use a singular pronoun to stand for a plural noun, or vice versa. no exceptions.

either "increased" or "have increased" would make sense, depending on context. if the sentence is written immediately at the end of the third month of the year, then "have increased" is right. if it's written later, then "increased" makes more sense.
tankobe
Prospective Students

by tankobe Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:30 am

RonPurewal Wrote:either "increased" or "have increased" would make sense, depending on context. if the sentence is written immediately at the end of the third month of the year, then "have increased" is right. if it's written later, then "increased" makes more sense.

thank you, RON.
I thought it should be increased, so i picked a wrong choice D athough i know that after falling.... have no Verb to modify and,as a result,falling don't have a subject to attach.
your explanation does do me a favor.
stephen
ujjavalgupta

by ujjavalgupta Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:07 am

Hii All,

I will like to know when does one use INCREASED
OR HAVE INCREASED here..

HAVE stands for a present perfect.. indicating that the sentence was written immediately at the end of 3 months..(if so)
How does one know which option to pick here...

Help me please !!!
akhp77
Students

by akhp77 Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:38 pm

Hi Ron,

C. which have increased five percent during the first three months of this year after falling over the last two years.

I understood that C is the best option among five.

However, I would like to know about following

"falling over the last two years" -> is it a modifier?

Regards
Akhilesh
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu May 13, 2010 6:49 am

ujjavalgupta Wrote:Hii All,

I will like to know when does one use INCREASED
OR HAVE INCREASED here..

HAVE stands for a present perfect.. indicating that the sentence was written immediately at the end of 3 months..(if so)
How does one know which option to pick here...

Help me please !!!

hi -- it appears you actually have a sufficient understanding of these two tenses. as you have noted, either of them could potentially make sense in the sentence at hand, although the present perfect is probably a little bit better (as the sentence is written in the present tense).

note that the test will not require you to choose between two legitimate meanings.
therefore, if you see a case like this one, in which there are two different meanings that are both viable, you should scan those choices for other types of errors. (in particular, choice (a) contains a very blatant pronoun error.)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu May 13, 2010 6:50 am

akhp77 Wrote:"falling over the last two years" -> is it a modifier?

the complete modifier is "after falling over the last two years", but, yes, you basically have the right idea.
ajit007_cool
Students

by ajit007_cool Fri May 14, 2010 5:10 pm

Please explain why E is wrong . i chose E.

is it wrong because there is no parallel structure on both sides of after
or it is worng because of use of 'with'
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:12 am

ajit007_cool Wrote:Please explain why E is wrong . i chose E.

is it wrong because there is no parallel structure on both sides of after
or it is worng because of use of 'with'

in general, "COMMA + prep phrase modifier" is an adverbial modifier, meaning that it modifies the entirety of the preceding clause.
in this sentence, we don't want an adverbial modifier, since it doesn't make any sense for this modifier to apply to the entire preceding clause.
rather, we want a modifier that will only modify the noun at the end of the preceding clause (i.e., "profits"). since this is the exact function of a "which" modifier, that's the modifier we want here.
vnpatriot7
Students

by vnpatriot7 Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:25 am

Hi Ron,

If we use "which have increased" in the first part, why don't we use "after having fallen" in the second part?

I think, it is not a parallel structure if we use "after falling" because the parallel one must be "which have increased....after (which) have fallen". Then we can rewrite as "which have increased...after having fallen". Is my reasoning correct?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:32 pm

vnpatriot7 Wrote:I think, it is not a parallel structure if ...

first --
OFFICIALLY CORRECT ANSWERS ARE CORRECT!
do not question officially correct answers!

far too many students on this forum make the mistake of questioning the correct answers; please note that doing so is a complete waste of your time and effort. i.e., exactly 0% of the time that you spend posting "isn't this official answer wrong?" is productive, and exactly 100% of that time is wasted.

"is this correct?" is NEVER a productive question to ask about one of GMAC's correct answers -- the answer is always yes.
"is this wrong?" / "is this X type of error?" is NEVER a productive question to ask about one of GMAC's correct answers -- the answer is always no.

instead, the questions you should be asking about correct official answers, if you don't understand them, are:
"why is this correct?"
"how does this work?"
"what understanding am i lacking that i need to understand this choice?"

this is a small, but hugely significant, change to your way of thinking -- you will suddenly find it much easier to understand the format, style, and conventions of the official problems if you dispose of the idea that they might be wrong.

Then we can rewrite as "which have increased...after having fallen". Is my reasoning correct?

no.

#1, by making this change, you are actually not changing anything about the grammar. you've taken VERB + after + -ING and changed it to ... another version of VERB + after + -ING.
so, from the standpoint of grammar, you have changed nothing; if the original were "bad parallelism", then this version would likewise be "bad parallelism".
you've changed the tense, but verb tenses are irrelevant to grammatical parallelism. (tenses are 100% determined by meaning/context, and 0% determined by grammar.)

#2 -- as you can deduce from this problem (among others), "after" isn't a parallel signal. it can introduce another verb, but it doesn't have to; it can also be followed by -ING, or even by a noun, in these cases.
i came home after i finished printing the report
i came home after working out
i came home after midnight
... all correct
vnpatriot7
Students

by vnpatriot7 Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:16 am

Thanks Ron for your guide of thinking in GMAT preparation and for your explanation.

So, I have another question: was I wrong if I changed the tense from "after falling..." to "after having falling"? My reasoning was that the fall of profit happened before its increase.
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:12 pm

along with the "don't question whether right answers are right" post, another of Ron's classics is his "don't try to make up a sentence you like" post. SC is about finding wrong answers, and it is often counterproductive to ask whether variations on an answer would be correct. it tends to take your focus away from what you're actually supposed to be learning in the problem and moves you into the realm of deciding trivial points the GMAT is probably not going to test you on anyway..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
vijayjakhotia
Students

by vijayjakhotia Wed May 18, 2011 6:00 am

Can someone please tell me whats wrong with Option D?