Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
pushkalk
Students

Re:

by pushkalk Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:41 am

esledge Wrote:Pooja is right--it is really the singular/plural mismatch that disqualifies "that" in (D). Something like "...bold designs such as those for the Guggenheim Museum, Fallingwater, and Price Tower..." would be OK in another context. Here, using "the one" is the best way to single out the Guggenheim as one example of the many bold designs.

Hi Emily,
Dont you think even B obscures the meaning here ?
for bold designs such as the one for the Guggenheim Museum
For the concise meaning it should rather read :
for bold designs such as those for the Guggenheim Museum

However I agree that the answer should be B as its the best among the lot.

Kindly correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: SC: Though Frank Lloyd Wright is best remembered

by jnelson0612 Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:06 pm

I think B makes the meaning quite clear. What about it concerns you? You may also want to read Tim's post on the previous page.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
davetzulin
Forum Guests

by davetzulin Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:06 pm

Guest Wrote:Though Frank Lloyd Wright is best remembered today because of bold designs like the Guggenheim Museum in New York City, most of his buildings were intended to blend into their surroundings.

a) because of bold designs like the Guggenheim Museum
b) for bold designs such as the one for the Guggenheim Museum
c) because of bold designs such as the Guggenheim Museum
d) because of bold designs such as that for the Guggenheim Museum
e) for bold designs like the Guggenheim Museum's

According to the explanation, answer D has a relative pronoun 'that' which lacks an antecedent. Does the same apply to 'one' in answer B? Why is 'one' the better pronoun to use in this case? What is the difference between 'one' and other pronouns (that, it, etc.)

am i the only one that finds it strange that one of Frank's designs is INSIDE the Guggenheim Museum? The rest of the sentence hints that he designs buildings. I thought from a meaning point of view he would be an architect that designed a building, the guggenheim musem.

I chose C incorrectly ( i was not aware of remember idiom ).
tim
Course Students

by tim Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:39 am

i don't see how any of the answer choices suggest that his design is IN the museum..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
davetzulin
Forum Guests

by davetzulin Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:10 pm

tim Wrote:i don't see how any of the answer choices suggest that his design is IN the museum..

Tim, i mean in the correct answer choice:

Though Frank Lloyd Wright is best remembered today for bold designs such as the one for the Guggenheim Museum in New York City, most of his buildings were intended to blend into their surroundings.

so Frank Lloyd created something for the Guggenheim museum, i assumed that if it was in a museum it would be inside the museum to be remembered, perhaps as an exhibit. Then later on it said his "buildings", so a building for the Guggenheim museum?
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:32 am

no, he made a design for the museum. that doesn't mean the design is an exhibit, that means he designed the museum itself..
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
c.w.richardjr
Course Students

Re:

by c.w.richardjr Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:19 pm

esledge Wrote:Pooja is right--it is really the singular/plural mismatch that disqualifies "that" in (D). Something like "...bold designs such as those for the Guggenheim Museum, Fallingwater, and Price Tower..." would be OK in another context. Here, using "the one" is the best way to single out the Guggenheim as one example of the many bold designs.

This is from an old thread that I came across trying to find the answer to a question. The correct answer to the question is (B) "... for bold designs such as the one for the Guggenheim Museaum..."

My question was never directly addressed in the entire thread. My question: "the one" is a pronoun, right? "the one" refers to "designs", right? "the one" is singular, right? If so, then how can a singular pronoun refer to a plural antecedent? I can just infer that the writer is trying to say that there is just "one design for the Guggenheim?" I guess I am failing to understand how a singular pronoun can refer to a plural antecedent and how it is determined that the author is actually referring to a singular version of the antecedent. Is "the one" special?

I thought it would be correct to replace "the one" with "those," in (B), but this option doesn't exist.

I understand why the others are incorrect, so please focus on (B) if possible.

Thanks so much!
messi10
Course Students

by messi10 Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:52 am

The pronoun "one" can be used as a indefinite copy of a collection

I don't know which version on MGMAT books you have but I have the 4th Edition and in the SC guide, there is an example on pg230:

After walking by the chocolates so many times, Roger finally had to eat one.

Hope this helps
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:29 pm

Messi, that's a perfect explanation and example for CW. "The one" is just an exception to the rule of keeping pronouns and antecedents consistent, but it's an exception that has a clear meaning and purpose- in this case, to take a plural pronoun and point out one particular instance.
Joe Lucero
aren.sh
Forum Guests

by aren.sh Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:44 pm

davetzulin Wrote:
tim Wrote:i don't see how any of the answer choices suggest that his design is IN the museum..

Though Frank Lloyd Wright is best remembered today for bold designs such as the one for the Guggenheim Museum in New York City, most of his buildings were intended to blend into their surroundings.

so Frank Lloyd created something for the Guggenheim museum, i assumed that if it was in a museum it would be inside the museum to be remembered, perhaps as an exhibit. Then later on it said his "buildings", so a building for the Guggenheim museum?

This is the exact same issue I have with this problem. I went with C thinking he designed the building himself, since the latter part of the sentence talks about "his buildings."
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:38 pm

aren.sh Wrote:
davetzulin Wrote:

This is the exact same issue I have with this problem. I went with C thinking he designed the building himself, since the latter part of the sentence talks about "his buildings."

One thing that could make this easier for us is recognizing the idiom split for/because.

Frank Lloyd Wright is remembered FOR bold designs . . .
OR
Frank LLoyd Wright is remembered BECAUSE OF bold designs . . . .

The correct idiom here is "for". People are "remembered for" something they did or were. That would help us knock out C without worrying about this meaning stuff.

BTW, I agree with Tim. When I read these answers I don't at all get the idea that his design is inside the museum. Even if in doubt, please remember that grammar should be the primary means of elimination. Bad idioms must go! ;-)
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
rustom.hakimiyan
Course Students

Re:

by rustom.hakimiyan Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:16 pm

Hi,

Doesn't "one" have to be matched with "singular" subjects as well?

Is "one" always plural?

Thanks.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Re:

by RonPurewal Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:35 am

"One" can refer to either a singular noun or a plural noun, as long as the context is clear.

E.g.,
Every winter I hope to see a moose in the front yard, even though I have never seen one in 70 years of living here.

You can't use "it" here; "it" would imply that you're talking about a specific moose.
rustom.hakimiyan
Course Students

Re: Re:

by rustom.hakimiyan Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:17 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:"One" can refer to either a singular noun or a plural noun, as long as the context is clear.

E.g.,
Every winter I hope to see a moose in the front yard, even though I have never seen one in 70 years of living here.

You can't use "it" here; "it" would imply that you're talking about a specific moose.

Thanks!
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:49 pm

:)
Tim Sanders