Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
akhp77
Students

Scientists studying the region

by akhp77 Tue May 18, 2010 3:33 am

Source: MGMAT CAT

Scientists studying the region are divided over how much of the temperature shift is due to the region's large natural variations and how much is being driven by the global buildup of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping greenhouse gases, like those emitted by tailpipes.

A: is being driven by the global buildup of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping greenhouse gases, like
B: the global buildup of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping greenhouse gases drive, such as
C: the global buildup of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping greenhouse gases drive, like
D: is driven by the global buildup of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping greenhouse gases, such as
E: is being driven by the global buildup of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping greenhouse gases, such like

OA: D
I have eliminated A, C and E. what about B and D?
I selected D but it is wrong. Solution talks about parallelism.

If I select D

Scientists studying the region are divided over how much of the temperature shift is due to the region's large natural variations and how much of the temperature shift is driven by the global buildup of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping greenhouse gases, such as those emitted by tailpipes.

Is the correct sentence convey this meaning?
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Scientists studying the region

by RonPurewal Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:18 am

akhp77 Wrote:Source: MGMAT CAT

Scientists studying the region are divided over how much of the temperature shift is due to the region's large natural variations and how much is being driven by the global buildup of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping greenhouse gases, like those emitted by tailpipes.

A: is being driven by the global buildup of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping greenhouse gases, like
B: the global buildup of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping greenhouse gases drive, such as
C: the global buildup of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping greenhouse gases drive, like
D: is driven by the global buildup of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping greenhouse gases, such as
E: is being driven by the global buildup of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping greenhouse gases, such like

OA: D
I have eliminated A, C and E. what about B and D?
I selected D but it is wrong. Solution talks about parallelism.

If I select D

Scientists studying the region are divided over how much of the temperature shift is due to the region's large natural variations and how much of the temperature shift is driven by the global buildup of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping greenhouse gases, such as those emitted by tailpipes.

Is the correct sentence convey this meaning?

this is correct, yes.