Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
SergeyK302
Students

Re: Score stagnating - Please help

by SergeyK302 Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:43 pm

Hi Stacey,

Thanks much for your message. I did not receive a notification from Manhattanprep that you replied, so this is why I am replying with a delay.

I have started working on anxiety with a therapist and also got back to practicing mindfulness.

The therapist suggested that I have to decide on which test to pursue ASAP. I gave it a thought and decided that I will go with the GMAT, but will keep the GRE in mind. So, I will continue my prep for the GMAT, but will also try to learn ~10 new words every day. The primary sources of my vocabulary at the moment are (1) The Economist articles that I religiously read every day (1-4 articles) and (2) flash cards of most common GRE words (~1000) from one of the test prep companies. I can roughly learn about 200-300 words a month with such pacing. While that amount may seem insignificant, I think expanded vocabulary will serve me well in a long term. And I actually enjoy learning words.

It is early to say anything about the results of the therapy, but Dr says that I have to start planning my practice tests and actually book the next exam. I will let you know how things progress. Interestingly, I observed that I become nervous / anxious when I practice under the ticking timer. For instance, I select 5-10 SCs and do them in one shot, and I observe that I have troubles concentrating. I am curious to see how the therapy will affect me.

Meanwhile, I spoke with one of the consultants from mbaAdmissions. She suggested that I should aim for 320-325 on the GRE to be competitive. Interestingly, 325 on the GRE (say Q167 and V158) is 700 on the GMAT... So, not sure whether there will be a massive benefit from switching to the GRE. However, the consultant said that I should definitely consider the switch.

Cheers!
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:47 am

Good! I agree that having a larger vocabulary can help with lots of things in life. :)

Keep me posted—I hope that things go well!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
SergeyK302
Students

by SergeyK302 Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:22 pm

Hi Stacey,

Hope this message finds you and your close ones in good health!

I just wanted to provide a quick update. I ended up taking the online version of the GRE and scored Q155 V155. Not the score that I was hoping for especially considering that I got above 320 on my official practice test, but not bad. Anyways, there is more exciting news to share! :D

After most schools offered extended application rounds I decided to make my own luck and...drum roll... Tuck said "yes". I still cannot believe that I got a lucky ticket, but yes, I busted the myth that the standardized test score is the most important factor in the B-school application. No, it is not! So, my wife and I will be moving to New Hampshire in a couple of weeks. I am super excited about the new chapter in my life and look forward to getting to know my peers and faculty.

Thank you for your support and guidance. My assumption is that people like you have a constant overdose of karma! :-)

Best of luck,
Sergey
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:18 pm

Yay!! That's so exciting!!! :D

We only take these tests because the schools make us—so, whatever, who cares about the score. ;) All that matters is that you got in! Tuck is a great program.

Thanks so much for coming back and sharing. Have an amazing time!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep