The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
Venkat

Scored 750 (Q: 49; V: 44)

by Venkat Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:16 pm

In early March, I decided to pursue an MBA. Scoured the WWW and zeroed in on MGMAT. Took the in-class courses (a combination of teachers/classes due to my business travel). They were of great help! Apart from utilizing the resources mentioned in several posts, I would suggest keeping the following in mind as you prepare for the exam. Of course, I have paraphrased what the various instructors constantly mention during class.

Quant Section:
1. Take the time to understand the question. Work with what is given to determine what the actual question is.
2. For DS problems: Don't try to solve the equation. Especially for 700+ questions. Stop working on the problem if you can answer the question (Y/N/M etc). IMO, this realization is singularly responsible for helping me crack the 750 barrier.

Verbal Section:
1. CR / RC: Dont make any assumptions. Try narrowing the choices to 2 or 3, never 1.
2. SC: Always look for idioms, they help you quickly knock down the incorrect ones.

General:
1. Make up for lost time in the middle, not at the end!
2. Overall, during the actual exam, stay calm.

During the actual test, I had 2 mins to answer the final math question. I got to the right answer but the clock ran out! Didn't panic. Took a few mins to regain composure and did my level best to focus on the verbal section instead of getting distracted by my earlier goof-up.

3. The MGMAT CAT questions are more difficult than those in the actual test. So keep this in mind.
4. Dont be a test taking machine! And take the actual test within the first 2-3 months of completing the course.

My scores:
MGMAT CAT 1 (Mar 16): 550 (V: 29; Q: 37) - I took this exam while watching sports on TV. Dont recommend it :)
MGMAT CAT 2 (Apr 12): 660 (V: 36; Q: 44)

GMAT PT1: (May 10): 710 (V:40; Q: 47)

Actual CAT (May 14): 750 (V: 44; Q: 49).

All the best!
Zebra

by Zebra Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:47 pm

Hi
Great to hear about your score.

Could you please let me know as how you found the test compared to MGMAT or GMATPrep or OG ?

Did you find the Actual test tougher than any of these ?

If you take the test the 2nd time, what would you focus on to ace the test ..not that u haven't now ?

Thanks
Venkat

by Venkat Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:02 pm

The verbal portion was just as tough...but the Quant was definitely easier than the MGMAT or the OG.

If I were to take the test a second time, I would put emphasis on mastering the fundamentals (algebra/geometry fomulas, SC rules etc) focusing on the weakest areas first. Would avoid taking too many practice tests, instead, I would focus on completing the OG/MGMAT problems within a stipulated time. Also, take the actual test within 4-5 weeks. Too much time and one tends to lose focus.

And during the actual test remember not to guess at the end; make up for lost time in the middle instead. Also, dont try to solve all the quant problems (some of the quant problems were down right crazy and I would have failed miserably if I had tried to solve even one of them) or the RC questions. In hindsight, these two pointers were the most important factors in obtaining my result.

Hope this helps. All the best!
Kuleen

More material required??

by Kuleen Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:56 pm

hello Venkat

Great score!

I am facing lot of problems in inequalities, did you study from any other book or strategy guides and OG were enought you think for Maths.

would look forwar to your response

thanks
Venkat

by Venkat Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:52 pm

Hi Kuleen,

All I used were the OG and MGMAT resources. The MGMAT guide will help you understand the fundamentals and the OG guide for problems.

All the best.
Top 10 Hopeful

Did you Just Skip Hard Ones?

by Top 10 Hopeful Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:38 pm

Hello Venkat,

I noticed in your post you said not to try and answer all Quant problems. Does that mean when you saw an extremely tough problem you just gave your best educated guess and moved on?

For me I think I'm going to have the strategy of just skipping (well guessing quickly) the extremely tough problems that I know I won't get. I tend to get them wrong anyways in practice tests (and they take up extra time) so it's a way for me to save a minute here and there for ones I can solve.
Venkat

by Venkat Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:59 pm

Your strategy seems fine. In my case, when I started taking the MGMAT classes, I used to force my self to solve all the math problems (especially 700+) even though half way thorugh I would have arrived at a point wherein I knew the answer. This caused me to waste valuable time. I discussed this issue with my instructor who convinced me to stop when I could answer the question (whether DS problems or otherwise). Like I wrote earlier, this strategy proved to be extremely beneficial.

Also note, that I have an engineering/math background. Hope this helps.