The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
GMAT Zenith
Students

Scrwed GMAT. Advise and suggestions needed

by GMAT Zenith Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:14 am

I gave my GMAT and a scored a 430(Q- 24 V- 22)
My major issue was time management. More than 15 questions I guessed in both sections. The questions were familiar to me. My concepts are clear in most of the part of quant as well as Verbal but I am really slow in reading and comprehending the question. SC,RC and CR I can get 80 - 100 % accuracy if there is no time limit. I gave my MGMAT mock test. Was able to score 590 and 600 range. I had dedicatedly studied for 2 months and on and off for past 6 months but it was not my full efforts as I dint know whether my way of studying is correct or its just hay wire. I guess I myself can’t figure out what went wrong whether my way of studying, content or time management. Because of these reasons I have lost faith whether I will be able to break a 700 level.
I referred to all the 8 MGMAT guides and CR powerscore Bible. The MGMAT tests and GMAT prep tests which I scores I the 500 range. For sure, this is not the range of score I am aiming at.
I have done my engineering in Computer science with 3 years of experience in software sales. I have been good in academics all throughout not excellent though.
I aim to get a minimum of 700+. Please advise me how can I increase my score to a 300 point. And if it possible to increase my score by almost 80% increase.
Would it be useful to join any coaching classes? I am in India, so the coaching is not so beneficial as per the students. This is the reason I dint join any classes in my prior preparation. Or any online classes would be good.
Please suggest me ways and methods of studying strategically. I am planning for a retake within 2 3 months and aim at a 700+.
Thanks
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Scrwed GMAT. Advise and suggestions needed

by RonPurewal Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:20 am

GMAT Zenith Wrote:I gave my GMAT and a scored a 430(Q- 24 V- 22)
My major issue was time management. More than 15 questions I guessed in both sections. The questions were familiar to me. My concepts are clear in most of the part of quant as well as Verbal but I am really slow in reading and comprehending the question. SC,RC and CR I can get 80 - 100 % accuracy if there is no time limit. I gave my MGMAT mock test. Was able to score 590 and 600 range. I had dedicatedly studied for 2 months and on and off for past 6 months but it was not my full efforts as I dint know whether my way of studying is correct or its just hay wire. I guess I myself can’t figure out what went wrong whether my way of studying, content or time management. Because of these reasons I have lost faith whether I will be able to break a 700 level.
I referred to all the 8 MGMAT guides and CR powerscore Bible. The MGMAT tests and GMAT prep tests which I scores I the 500 range. For sure, this is not the range of score I am aiming at.
I have done my engineering in Computer science with 3 years of experience in software sales. I have been good in academics all throughout not excellent though.
I aim to get a minimum of 700+. Please advise me how can I increase my score to a 300 point. And if it possible to increase my score by almost 80% increase.
Would it be useful to join any coaching classes? I am in India, so the coaching is not so beneficial as per the students. This is the reason I dint join any classes in my prior preparation. Or any online classes would be good.
Please suggest me ways and methods of studying strategically. I am planning for a retake within 2 3 months and aim at a 700+.
Thanks

if you post this in the "general questions" folder, stacey may have a more thorough/complete response for you.

for now, though, i'm going to be the "bad guy" and tell you this: if your current plan is to shoot for a 300-point increase in 2-3 months, then, well, you need a new plan.
that's not really a realistic goal to start with, but especially not if you already have a baseline of familiarity with the test. (we've seen huge score increases like that, but they've only come from students who said things like "when i took my first exam i didn't even know what 'sufficient' and 'not sufficient' meant" - i.e., people who basically didn't even know what they were supposed to be doing when they took their first test.)

at this point, my best advice would be to forget about the GMAT for a year or two, and use that time to work on becoming a better and faster reader of written English in the first place.
you don't have to speed-read, but, if you can't comprehend the passages at a normal reading speed, it's pointless to attempt the GMAT verbal section until you can.
this is more important for the GMAT than for any other test, by the way, because of the relative dearth of official prep materials for the GMAT. i.e., there aren't very many official GMAT problems out there, so you should save them for when you've achieved a better baseline reading speed/comprehension.
GMAT Zenith
Students

Re: Scrwed GMAT. Advise and suggestions needed

by GMAT Zenith Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:38 am

HI,,

Its been a year i have given GMAT. you had advised me to read than to concentrate on GMAT. I have not been in touch with GMAT or any of the stuff since a year as i was busy with in job.

Please advice how should i start again.If its about reading what kind of books i should read.

Looking forward for your reply.

Regards,
GMAT Zenith