Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: Sentence Correction / Parallelism / Subject Verb Agreement

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Sun May 06, 2018 6:57 am

Do not use a comma before and to separate two verbs that have the same subject

Do you mean "Do not use a comma to separate two verbs that have the same subject"? Where did you get this rule from? It seems a bit strict to me.

Remember that GMAT will never test you on comma usage alone - it's far too controversial and subjective an area of grammar. You're right that we usually wouldn't use a comma between two parallel elements. For example
For dinner I ate bread and cheese.
However, if the sentence is long it might be clear to use a comma. For example
For dinner I ate bread that had been lying in the cupboard for so long that it had green mold growing on it and smelt disgusting, and cheese.

However, in answer B the parallel structure has three elements, so we'd use a comma to separate them in the form "x, y, and z". GMAT follows the convention called the Oxford comma, always using a comma before and when a list has three or more items.
Wangy35
Prospective Students

by Wangy35 Fri May 11, 2018 6:21 am

:D :D :D thx !!!!!
this rule is writen in Manhattan SC Book, 5th Edition, page 197
according to your explanation, i think i should use punctuation as a guideline for understanding sentences, i will not try to eliminate choices by using "punctuation errors".
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Thu May 17, 2018 5:28 pm

You're welcome.