Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
AmitM805
Students

Sentence Correction: Pronoun Ambiguity

by AmitM805 Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:45 pm

Hi Guys,

Can someone please help me understand the pronoun ambiguity in following sentence :

The reason that investment banks require background checks of their applicants is because they require clean criminal records of their employees

Source : Manhattan CAT

Explanation for Error:

(E) The structure "the reason X is because Y" is redundant. The proper idiom is either "the reason X is Y" or "Y is because X." In addition, it is not clear whether the pronouns "they" and "their" refer to "investment banks" or "applicants."

I understand the sentence is incorrect. But I am trying to understand the explanation associated with it.

I agree with the first part of explanation that "the reason X is because Y" is redundant.
But, I don't understand the second part that "it is not clear whether the pronouns "they" and "their" refer to "investment banks" or "applicants." ,

According to the pronoun proximity rule,"their" in "their applicants " will refer to investment bank because of the "too close" rule.

Since, "their" refers to investment banks based on pronoun repeats rule we can say that "they" and "their" refer to same noun i.e. investment banks.
AmitM805
Students

Re: Sentence Correction: Pronoun Ambiguity

by AmitM805 Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:15 pm

+ Bumping up thread
AmitM805
Students

by AmitM805 Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:29 am

+ Bumping up thread
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:47 am

First, be careful bumping questions. Every time you do that it puts the question at the absolute end of the queue for us to answer. Bumping a question is the most effective way to cause a delay in getting your question answered.

Second, there is no pronoun ambiguity problem here. The explanation is incorrect on this point. Pay attention to what *else* makes E incorrect, because pronoun ambiguity is not a thing at all.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:04 pm

tim Wrote:... because pronoun ambiguity is not a thing at all.

^^ just to clarify—it's not a thing on this exam.

in other situations, pronoun ambiguity is a thing (e.g., Sharon was talking to Barbara about her children). but the gmat does not test it.
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:00 pm

Thanks for clarifying, Ron. This brings up an important point: there are a lot of things that are issues in real life that the GMAT simply doesn't test. Learning what the GMAT does and does not test will help you make sure not to waste time on issues that are irrelevant for this test.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
LuciaH945
Students

by LuciaH945 Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:48 am

Hi there,

I'm so confused about the sentence " In virtually all types of tissue in every animal species dioxin induces the production of enzymes that are the organism’s trying to metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical that is irritating it". What does the first "that" refer to? and why it use "are" in here?

Please, can anyone help to solve the question?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:59 pm

LuciaH945 Wrote:Hi there,

I'm so confused about the sentence " In virtually all types of tissue in every animal species dioxin induces the production of enzymes that are the organism’s trying to metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical that is irritating it". What does the first "that" refer to? and why it use "are" in here?

Please, can anyone help to solve the question?

it appears you've posted in the wrong thread.

please search the forum for a thread concerning the problem you're asking about.
• if you find such a thread, please post your question in the existing thread.
• if you don't, then please post a thread in the appropriate folder. if you post a new thread, please post the ENTIRE problem EXACTLY as originally provided—including ALL answer choices (as per the forum rules).
thanks.