Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
Xenophontis
Forum Guests

Sentence correction question - The Bentley trench

by Xenophontis Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:55 am

Hello.
I have a question regarding problem 10 on page 203 of the Sentence Correction guide, 5th edition.
The correct answer to this question is "The Bentley trench, situated at more than a mile and a half below sea level and completely covered by Antarctic glaciers, IS the lowest point on the planet not under the oceans."

I understand the wrong usage of "and", but the way I would solve the problem is that, in addition to changing "and it is" to "is" I would also remove the comma, since the second part of the sentence provides essential information.

Why is there a comma, although we have an essential modifier?

Thank you.
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Sentence correction question - The Bentley trench

by jnelson0612 Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:23 am

Xenophontis Wrote:Hello.
I have a question regarding problem 10 on page 203 of the Sentence Correction guide, 5th edition.
The correct answer to this question is "The Bentley trench, situated at more than a mile and a half below sea level and completely covered by Antarctic glaciers, IS the lowest point on the planet not under the oceans."

I understand the wrong usage of "and", but the way I would solve the problem is that, in addition to changing "and it is" to "is" I would also remove the comma, since the second part of the sentence provides essential information.

Why is there a comma, although we have an essential modifier?

Thank you.

Quick question--which comma would you remove? Thanks!
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
Xenophontis
Forum Guests

by Xenophontis Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:40 pm

it's the comma between the words "glaciers" and "is" : "covered by Antarctic glaciers, IS the lowest point"

I'd remove the comma that's situated before "is", since the following sentence tells us something new.
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:13 pm

What do you mean by "the following sentence"? The issue here is that "The Bentley trench is the lowest point on the planet not under the oceans." If you want to include a modifying phrase that has a comma on one end, it has to have a comma at the other end as well. Although the comparison is not exact, think of the first comma as an open parenthesis and the second one as a close parenthesis. You can't have one without the other.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html