Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
xyin
Students

Sentence correction

by xyin Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:06 am

The global-warming effect of ocean white caps are one of the many aspects of the ocean environment that are not yet incorporated in any detail into the computer models used for predicting how rising greenhouse gas concentrations could affect climate.

A. The global-warming effect of ocean white caps are one of the many aspects of the ocean environment that are not yet incorporated in any detail into the computer models used for predicting
B. The effect on global warming of ocean white caps are one of the many aspects of the ocean environment not yet incorporated in any detail into computer models, which they use to predict
C. The effect of ocean white caps on global warming is one of the many aspects of the ocean environment that are not yet incorporated in any detail into the computer models used to predict
D. That ocean white caps have an effect on global warming is one of the many aspects of the ocean environment not yet having been incorporated in any detail into the computer models that are used for predicting
E. That ocean white caps have an effect on global warming is one of the many aspects of the ocean environment not yet being incorporated in any detail into computer models, which they use to predict

Prep

Hey, Ron! I know the answer is C, but I am a little confused about which noun really should "are" be consistent with!

C "is one of the many aspects of the ocean environment that are not yet incorporated"
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Sentence correction

by jnelson0612 Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:26 pm

[quote="xyin"]The global-warming effect of ocean white caps are one of the many aspects of the ocean environment that are not yet incorporated in any detail into the computer models used for predicting how rising greenhouse gas concentrations could affect climate.

C. The effect of ocean white caps on global warming is one of the many aspects of the ocean environment that are not yet incorporated in any detail into the computer models used to predict

Hey, Ron! I know the answer is C, but I am a little confused about which noun really should "are" be consistent with![quote="xyin"]

I'm not Ron, nor do I play him on tv, but it has to be "aspects . . . are"

"aspects are not yet incorporated into the models"--just take out the prepositional phrase "of the ocean environment" and it should become more clear.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
xyin
Students

by xyin Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:45 am

Thanks, Jamie! But i still have a little confusion about the word "that."
Of almost all the Gmat practice questions, I found out Gmat likes to use "that" to follow the word it modifies immediately.
So, if the sentence was "one of the ocean environment's many aspects that are not yet incorporated in any detail into the computer models used to predict," it would be less ambiguous.
xyin
Students

by xyin Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:31 am

The more detailed discussion about "that" must follow the noun it modifies immediately
sc-by-merging-its-two-publishing-divisions-the-t8026.html

By merging its two publishing divisions, the company will increase their share of the country's $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging from obscure textbooks to mass-market paperbacks. "Prep"

B. from 6 percent to 10 percent its share of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges

E. to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the country's $21 billion book market, which ranges

So,,, Could u please give me some hint? How can u explain the contradiction of these two? Thanks very much!!!
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:54 pm

are you kidding? did you just quote a sentence that uses the word "which" to support a rule you think exists involving the word "that"?
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
akriti_13
Students

by akriti_13 Mon May 02, 2011 6:15 am

The global-warming effect of ocean white caps are one of the many aspects of the ocean environment that are not yet incorporated in any detail into computer models used for predicting how rising greenhouse gas concentrations could affect climate.
A. The global-warming effectof ocean white caps are one of the many aspects of the ocean environment that are not yet incorporated in any detail into computer models used for predicting - SV DISAGREEMENT, used for predicitng is unidiomatic
B. The effect on global warming of ocean white caps are one of the many aspects of the ocean environment not yet incorporated in any detail into computer models, which they use to predict - sv disagreement - they is ambiguous
D. That ocean white caps have an effect on global warming is one of the many aspects of the ocean environment not yet having been incorportated in any detail into the computer models that are used for predicting.
E. That ocean white caps have an effect on global warming is one of the many aspects of the ocean environment not yet being incorporated in any detail into computer models, which they use to predict.

Hi Ron,
i just wanted to check if there are any other reasons for eliminating D

and is my undertsanding that used for predicting is unidiomatic is correct.

Thanks
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue May 03, 2011 2:44 pm

you are correct that D is unidiomatic. that answer choice also has a problem in the "not yet having been incorporated" part; there are much cleaner ways to express that, as we see in C..
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
700+
Students

by 700+ Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:46 pm

Isn't 'One' considered an Indefinite pronoun just like Anyone, No one etc.? Shouldn't 'One of...' require a singular verb?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:00 am

700+ Wrote:Isn't 'One' considered an Indefinite pronoun just like Anyone, No one etc.? Shouldn't 'One of...' require a singular verb?

i wrote what's basically a whole book about this issue, at the following link (on another forum):
http://www.beatthegmat.com/one-of-the-t ... tml#174075

check it out.
namnam123
Students

by namnam123 Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:49 am

NOUN HAVING DONE is never exist in general english grammar and never exist in gmat grammar. This point makes D incorrect.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:34 pm

namnam123 Wrote:NOUN HAVING DONE is never exist in general english grammar and never exist in gmat grammar. This point makes D incorrect.

it is true that GMAC has not used this construction (to my knowledge) in any of its existing correct answers.

on the other hand, if a comma is inserted between the noun and the "having VERBed" part, then the construction is perfectly legitimate. for instance, see OG12 #21.
michaelliu
Forum Guests

by michaelliu Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:41 pm

Hi Ron

Could you please help explain the reason why the "that" in C does not modify "ocean environment"? I immediately crossed off C because I thought "that" could ambigiously modify "ocean environment", the wrong noun.

Many thanks.
krishnan.anju1987
Forum Guests

by krishnan.anju1987 Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:49 pm

IMO,

1) The effect if ocean white caps on global warming is one of many aspects
2) Many aspects have not been incorporated in any detail into the computer models used to predict

the "that" used here in option c refers to many aspects not yet incorporated of which this effect happens to be a single one.
michaelliu
Forum Guests

by michaelliu Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:09 pm

michaelliu Wrote:Hi Ron

Could you please help explain the reason why the "that" in C does not modify "ocean environment"? I immediately crossed off C because I thought "that" could ambigiously modify "ocean environment", the wrong noun.

Many thanks.

Hi Ron,

Could you please reply? I thought both "that" and "which" are both supposed to modify the nearest noun - in this case is "ocean environment". Why can "that" modify the noun before that?

Thank you.
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:58 pm

michaelliu Wrote:Hi Ron,

Could you please reply? I thought both "that" and "which" are both supposed to modify the nearest noun - in this case is "ocean environment". Why can "that" modify the noun before that?

Thank you.

Here's an entire discussion on the topic, talking about mission critical modifiers:

mission-critical-modifier-sc-t10633.html

The main idea there is that you get a small amount of leeway with relative pronouns, as long as they logically can only refer to one word:

The picture on the nightstand that was framed last year is my favorite. (ok)

The picture on the nightstand that I bought last year is my favorite. (too ambiguous)
Joe Lucero