Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
kinnusp3

Session Almost Done & Have A Long Way to Go

by kinnusp3 Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:30 am

During my spring session, I was distracted by other things. I read all the materials through class but didn't get through most of the OG problems. My weaknesses include retaining some of the basic information and getting over test-taking jitters. My initial score was a 370 at the start of class and then a 530 midway through class. What would be the best study strategy? I want to be a 700 GMAT student!
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:21 pm

It sounds like you haven't been able to do the kind of work you should have been doing while the class was going on. You still have access to the online materials for 3 months after your class ends, though, so you may want to essentially "retake" the class. You have access to recorded sessions of each class (either your own class, if you're in a virtual class, or another class, if you're in an in-person class). Essentially, start over again, watching one lesson a week and following the work on the syllabus.

Take a full-length practice test before you start this, if you haven't already taken one within the past month, and run the assessment reports. Know what your strengths and weaknesses are with respect to both content and timing across all of the question types and sub-types and content areas. Use that to prioritize the different things you study from week to week. (Also map that to what you know of the frequency of different content areas on the test - don't spend a ton of time studying something that's likely to show up on only one question on the entire test. If you're not sure how frequent a particular thing is, come on here and ask.)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep