Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
ronnyr394
Course Students

SG-SC Chap 4 Problem Set#14

by ronnyr394 Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:45 am

Solution on number 14 in problem set:

"Between 1998 and 2003, there was heavy fighting in Parthia among numerous armed fractions; this conflict, so much more complicated than a conventional war between two states, involved no fewer than eight countries and twenty-fives militias."

"Yet" is replaced by "semi-colon" Can you explain to me why do we need to change that? I don't understand the explanation on SG.
Also, is it okay if "yet" is replaced by "Furthermore" or "Additionally"?

Thanks
tim
Course Students

Re: SG-SC Chap 4 Problem Set#14

by tim Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:45 pm

I think the semicolon is best among these options. "Yet" would introduce contrast, which is certainly not what's going on here. "Furthermore" and "additionally" give the sense that we are taking the first part as a given and adding something that goes beyond. The way I see it, what's really happening here is that the second part is providing an explanation for the first, so "furthermore" and "additionally" don't seem particularly appropriate.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html