If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
tjh2236

Should I retake the GMAT with a 710?

by tjh2236 Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:42 pm

I just got done taking the GMAT and ended up getting a 710 (Q-48, V-40). Should I retake the test, given that my practice tests were in the 730-750 range and that I got 45 on my verbal sections for the last four of them (though my quant. score was not as high)? I was hoping to have a real chance at Harvard or Stanford, even in a tough admissions year. Here is some additional background information:

Nationality: American

Undergrad: 3.68 GPA at Yale with a double major in Engineering Sciences (Electrical) and Economics

Work History: 3 years as an analyst at a small VC firm in the Midwest and two years (by the time I go) as an associate at a mid-size VC firm in Boston.

Activities: Big Brother, was treasurer of local Yale club in my previous town.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
MBAApply

by MBAApply Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:31 pm

Your time would be better spent on the applications rather than trying to boost your score -- beyond a certain threshhold, it'll come down to everything else in your candidacy and application (essays, rec letters and interview).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com
tjh2236

Retaking the GMAT

by tjh2236 Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:53 pm

I agree, but given that the applications don't come out for a few weeks or months, would taking the GMAT again be held against me by Admissions Committees?

Also, what would my chances of admission be at Tuck, MIT, and Northwestern?
MBAApply

by MBAApply Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:43 pm

No, it wouldn't be held against you per se, although some adcoms may think you're a little neurotic for re-writing the GMAT given your already strong score. It's your money and time.

As for your chances, it really comes down to how well you execute your application - I think you know that you have a pretty strong background (education + experience + extracurriculars), so it's all about the applications (and some luck) from here on in.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com