Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
madhukara77
Students

simple past vs past perfect

by madhukara77 Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:02 am

Hello Experts -

Just for my understanding - please let me know, - What is the difference between these sentences -

Option 1 - Mr X appear as he was equipped to face any obstacle the opponent could put in his path.

Option 2 - Mr X appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the opponent could put in his path.

Option 3 - Mr X appear to be equipped to face any obstacle the opponent could put in his path.

My understanding -
Option 1 is saying , Mr X was equipped with something in past. He is not equipped with that thing now. This complete fact is evident now (appear is in present tense)

Option 2 is saying Mr X was equipped in past and he is equipped currently as well. (Part perfect). This complete fact is evident now (appear is in present tense)

Option 3 is saying Mr X is currently equipped with something. (equipped is not having any verb , it acts as a modifier here).This complete fact is evident now (appear is in present tense)
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: simple past vs past perfect

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:25 am

There are lots of idioms surrounding the verb 'appear' (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/appear) but some are:
to appear adjective e.g. She appears tall.
to appear to verb e.g. She appears to like apples.
However, 'appeared as he was equipped' is not a correct idiom (option 1).

Options 2 and 3 seem to have very similar meanings. I wouldn't expect GMAT to expect you to distinguish between so subtle a meaning issue. As for modifiers and verbs, both 'to be equipped' and 'to have been equipped' are actually infinitives. In option 2 'to have been equipped' emphasizes that the equipping took place in the past. As you say, it implies that Mr. X is still equipped now. Option 3 simply tells us that now Mr. X is equipped.

A more pressing issue is that all the sentences should be 'Mr X appears or appeared...'
madhukara77
Students

by madhukara77 Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:44 pm

Thanks for the explanation Sage. Yes - I realized "appear as" is incorrect in option 1 , however as per my understanding , "appear as" can be used correctly if it is followed by a noun and we saying - "Something is literally visible as something".

Example : (Correct)
The star appears as bulb.

Example (Incorrect)
The person appears as a thief. (We should be using appear to be here)

Please let me know, if my understanding is correct.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:26 am

Absolutely, that's an idiom I didn't list, but it's a valid one. I guess the most common example would be about an actor: we could say that Colin Firth appeared as Mr Darcy in Pride and Prejudice. Thanks for pointing that out.