Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
yo4561
Course Students

Simplifying inequalities question

by yo4561 Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:01 am

I have a specific question about cross multiplying when you have an expression on one side of an inequality...if you have to consider the sign of the expression as a whole?

Let's say x, y, and z are all positive numbers.

Then, you have the expression....

(x+y+z) / (z-y) <0

You can't multiply the (z-y) times 0 to get rid of it because you do not know what the sign of the expression takes even though you know that both variables are positive, z could be less than y... e.g. if (z-y) is negative, you would need to flip the sign versus if (z-y) is positive, you wouldn't need to flip the sign? Is my thinking correct?

Many thanks my friends :)
esledge
Forum Guests

Re: Simplifying inequalities question

by esledge Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:11 am

yo4561 Wrote:Let's say x, y, and z are all positive numbers.

(x+y+z) / (z-y) <0

You can't multiply the (z-y) times 0 to get rid of it because you do not know what the sign of the expression takes even though you know that both variables are positive, z could be less than y... e.g. if (z-y) is negative, you would need to flip the sign versus if (z-y) is positive, you wouldn't need to flip the sign? Is my thinking correct?
Yes, you are correct!
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
yo4561
Course Students

by yo4561 Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:07 pm

esledge Wrote:
yo4561 Wrote:Let's say x, y, and z are all positive numbers.

(x+y+z) / (z-y) <0

Yes, you are correct!

Thank you Emily for all of your thoughtful responses! You are the best!
esledge
Forum Guests

by esledge Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:58 pm

Aw, thanks! You are very welcome.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT