Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
yo4561
Course Students

Simplyfing like terms in an algebraic equation question

by yo4561 Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:01 pm

I am trying to understand the rules around converting fractions to be on like terms to simplify them.

I have this made up example: If A does not equal 0 and A + (A^2 - 2)/A = A/B, then A =?

I see how you would multiply both sides by B to solve. But what if you tried to put the left side on like terms first?

I got stuck because I would think to do A^2/A + (A^2-2)/A = A/B....

Before I go further, do I have to do something to the other term on the left side of the fraction (the A^2-2)/A and what about the A/B, or am I allowed to just manipulate the A to a like fraction to then simplfy the left side of the equation?

Many thanks in advance :)
Whit Garner
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Simplyfing like terms in an algebraic equation question

by Whit Garner Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:49 pm

Hi!

In your example, your idea to rewrite the A as the fraction A^2/A is a great idea - from there you could combine the two fractions on the left to get:

(A^2 + A^2 - 2)/A = A/B

From there you could cross multiply and then simplify. Having that one B term is going to make things less pretty, but you're on the right track!

:)
Whit
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." - George Bernard Shaw