Math questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: Six mobsters have arrived at the theater for the premiere of

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:52 pm

Thanks for detailing your logic. Let me approach a few points separately. First, the phrase 'not necessarily right behind him' means that Frankie is going to be behind Joey, possibly right behind him, or possibly with a gap between. This phrase certainly doesn't mean 'not right behind him'. If I asked you to buy me some cake, think of the difference between me saying 'not necessarily chocolate' and 'not chocolate'.

that led me to him being able to be in four spots (4!) but not in two spots (2!), out of six spots (numerator)

Unfortunately this isn't the right way to translate that situation into numbers. We can't simply divide by (the number of spots Joey can be in)! x (the number Joey can't be in)!. Think: this would mean that if Joey could be in all six spots, then we'd divide by 6! and there would be only one possibility - nonsense! I think you're mixing this up with something else: if we order objects and some of the objects are the same, then we divide by the factorial of that number. For more on this check out chapter 4 of the Number Properties Strategy Guide.
JackF968
Course Students

by JackF968 Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:48 pm

So helpful. Thank you. I can't believe I missed the "necessarily." All I can say going forward is, "oh boy."
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:49 am

Enjoy your mistakes - they'll help you learn. :)