Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
AnitaX292
Course Students

Strategy to tackle consecutive RC questions

by AnitaX292 Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:48 am

Hi,

I recently took a GMAT prep exam. In the verbal section, I saw consecutive RC questions. i.e. questions 1-12 were based on 3 RC passages and questions 31-33 were another set of RC questions.

I follow the yellow pad technique suggested by MPREP and it has worked really well for me, especially to pace myself well in the exam. But in this particular GMAT prep exam, as I saw 3 RC passages and the first 12 questions were all related to RC, I went over time and there were 39 minutes left when I was on question #13. So I started panicking a bit, but as the next set of 6-7 questions were mostly SC and a few CR, I caught up a little on time but was still behind and I had 14 minutes left when I came to question #25. Then I started guessing in the final set of RC passages because I was almost running out of time.

I was wondering if it is common to see a bunch of RC questions consecutively in the actual GMAT. This is the first time I've had to tackle 3 RC passages back to back. Honestly, it was stressful to see back to back passages. So it got a little exhausting by the time I got to #13, but at the same time I was quite mentally relieved that I have crossed off "3 Rs" :wink:

I would like some suggestions as to how best to navigate such a pattern of consecutive RC questions and make sure that I still pace myself well.

Thanks,
Anita.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Strategy to tackle consecutive RC questions

by StaceyKoprince Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:06 pm

Wow! I have gotten two passages back to back before but not three. I can't even recall a student telling me that they've seen this before on GMATPrep.

I agree that that's really mentally draining. First, let's hope that this won't happen on the real test—it's very unusual, so the odds are good that you won't have this happen there.

But, since it did happen this time, I completely understand wanting to be prepared just in case. So let's think this through.

The first passage you would treat just like any other passage, because you have no idea that you're going to get another passage immediately after. So you do the passage the normal way / with normal timing and that may take you to the end of a page in the yellow pad or it may not. (In the case of your last test, it would not have.)

In this case, you would have done the first passage, gotten to Q5, and seen a second passage pop up. Because this is the second RC passage on the same page of the yellow pad, jot down the extra R (I also like to jot down "–2-3m"). Now you know you can expect to be 2-3 min behind on the "normal" time when you get to the end of this page. So far, this is still going according to the normal yellow pad.

But then you get to Q9, the last Q for this page of the yellow pad...and *another* passage pops up! So do the same thing: Jot down another extra R and another –2-3.

When you finish that first question, you're at the end of that page of the yellow pad, so it's time to check yourself against the timing. The target time at this point is 48 with one RC passage, but you've also got to factor in the –4-6 for the two extra passages, so your target time is really 42-44min. If you're within that range, great. You're on track, so just keep doing what you're doing.

If the clock is lower than that, you need to bail on something to catch back up—and you have the perfect opportunity to do that with the passage you're on right now, because you're probably pretty sick of RC at this point. :) So on the next question you see that is about part of the passage you don't like, or asks a question that is confusing, or just seems hard or annoying for any reason—bail immediately. Pick your favorite letter and move on.

You were at 39 min, so about 3-5min behind—that's two bails to catch up. Just be totally fact-based at this point: Oh, look, I need to bail on 2 questions. Okay, which two? You can make them both RC, if you don't like this passage, or you can take one of them from the RC passage and one from whatever else comes up on this page of the yellow pad. I would do at least one from RC just because your brain is getting tired from doing the same thing so many times in a row. (Strategic note: In general, you save more time by bailing on CR and RC. You don't save a ton of time by bailing on SC, just because those are "faster" types.)

So by the time you get to the end of your second page of the yellow pad, you'll be caught back up. You also won't be quite so mentally fatigued, because you will have chosen to bail on a couple of questions that looked extra challenging for some reason.

Thoughts about this? If you're really concerned about this happening on the real thing, practice this on your yellow pad by setting up a practice set—start with 3 RCs in a row, then do some SCs and CRs. (But, as I said, I think it's pretty rare. The chances are good that you won't see this on the real thing.)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
AnitaX292
Course Students

by AnitaX292 Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:49 am

Thank you for the detailed strategy. I tried it once with a bunch of questions. I tried to bail on a few RC questions as you recommended and it seems to work on and off. I probably need to get better on my bailing strategy. On Verbal, how many questions can we bail? I think I have a good grasp of when to guess on quant and I’ve guessed close to 5-8 questions and it’s worked well. But I’m not sure about the verbal part. How many to guess and still get a score in the high 30s or higher?
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:15 pm

I would aim for about 4-6 questions on the V side for a score in the high 30s—if you want to go into the 40s for score, bail on closer to 4 than 6.

And, yes, it takes practice! You're not always going to make the best decisions about when to bail—sometimes, you'll bail and realize afterwards that you should have kept going on that problem. Other times, you'll bail correctly, but you'll also realize that you could have made the decision 20 seconds earlier, when you first realized (something really annoying about the problem).

So when you review a problem set, include a review of when and how you decided to bail—so that you can decide where you made decisions that you would want to repeat next time and where you would want to make different decisions next time. This practice will help you get better at making these decisions.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep