Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
yo4561
Course Students

Struggling with copies in parallelism

by yo4561 Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:38 pm

Happy Sunday MP!

I was watching Reed's video on parallelism, and he provides the following example:

"Noticing that profits have fallen again this year, the company is selling its equity but will likely buy buy some back when the market corrects."

I have a question about the "some; I understand that the "some" is serving as a "copy" for "equity". However, the only copies that the MP All the Verbal book seems to focus on are that" and "those".

For parallelism, what are examples of other copies that can be used? Is there any time in parallel structure when the "Y" element should not use a "copy"?

As always, thank you very much my friend :)
esledge
Forum Guests

Re: Struggling with copies in parallelism

by esledge Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:23 pm

yo4561 Wrote:Happy Sunday MP!

I was watching Reed's video on parallelism, and he provides the following example:

"Noticing that profits have fallen again this year, the company is selling its equity but will likely buy buy some back when the market corrects."

I have a question about the "some; I understand that the "some" is serving as a "copy" for "equity". However, the only copies that the MP All the Verbal book seems to focus on are that" and "those".

For parallelism, what are examples of other copies that can be used? Is there any time in parallel structure when the "Y" element should not use a "copy"?

As always, thank you very much my friend :)

I would frame this as less of a parallelism issue and more of a pronoun issue. The reason is that "some" is not the primary part of the parallel element, unlike the that/those examples in the book.

The company [the root phrase]:
(1) is selling (something)
but [the parallel marker]
(2) will buy (something)

Parallelism rules don't require anything in the (something) parts to be parallel, so you should only worry about whether the meaning/antecedent of "some" is clear.

It would also be ok to say something like
Noticing that profits have fallen again this year, the company is selling (some of its equity) and will likely sell (more later).

The underlined parts are the parallel elements. The objects in parentheses do not have to be parallel. In this case, some and more both quantify equity, but it's too rigid to think of them as parallel "copies" (any parallelism there is just coincidence, in my opinion).
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
yo4561
Course Students

by yo4561 Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:14 am

Thank you Emily! You are so helpful as always!
esledge
Forum Guests

by esledge Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:16 pm

You are welcome!
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT