Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
FrancoisD475
Forum Guests

Study partners in NYC, North Jersey, or Philadelphia

by FrancoisD475 Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:13 am

Hi, I got a 680 the first time. Shooting for 700+ this time for Fall 2020 Admission. My biggest area of weakness is Math, I scored a 47 percentile the first time, so i think with some practice, 720+ is easily attainable, but I need a partner to help keep me motivated
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Study partners in NYC, North Jersey, or Philadelphia

by StaceyKoprince Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:57 pm

Hi! Have you also posted in the study partners folder of the forums?

Some other ideas:
If you're open to meeting online, then you don't have to limit yourself to a certain geography—so that might help you to find a study partner more easily.
If you're able to talk about wanting to go to grad school at work (ie, if it's okay for your boss to know this), you might ask your co-workers—they may know someone who is studying (friend, significant other, etc).
If you've taken one of our classes and the class is over, you can ask your instructor whether any other students have recently expressed a wish to find a study partner. (If the class is ongoing, then ask your classmates in class, of course!)

Until you find a study partner, you can also ask someone in your life to help keep you motivated—you'll just need to find what path(s) will help with motivation. At the beginning of your studies, give this person an amount of money to hold for you—an amount that is significant to you. Each week, tell this person your study plan for the week. Be specific—share a google doc with the details. At the end of the week, go over the list with this person. If you do at least 90% of what was on the list, you earn back x% of the money. If you don't...your friend gets to keep the money. (It could also be something else, like you earn the right to go out to a certain event on Saturday night or whatever. It's just got to be something you really want.)

Eg, let's say you want to study 10 weeks and you know that $50 will motivate you. Give your friend (gulp) $500. You can earn back $50 each week. (You can also just make it so that you have to pay your friend the $50 if you fail vs. having him/her give it back to you. It's up to you. Just make sure that you set it up in a way that really makes you feel the most pain if you don't succeed—so that you're more motivated to do what you need to do.)

Note: You are allowed, within reason, to replace certain tasks with others during the week—eg, let's say that you said you were going to study quadratic equations but then you realized you're still struggling with exponents and linear equations, so you need to back up and re-study those areas before you do quadratics.

Anyone else reading this: If you're stronger in quant and weaker in verbal, then Francois might be a good study partner for you—you can help each other with your weaknesses.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
ChrisT983
Course Students

by ChrisT983 Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:12 pm

FrancoisD475 Wrote:Hi, I got a 680 the first time. Shooting for 700+ this time for Fall 2020 Admission. My biggest area of weakness is Math, I scored a 47 percentile the first time, so i think with some practice, 720+ is easily attainable, but I need a partner to help keep me motivated

Hey Francois

I'm located in south Philadelphia and also looking for a partner or community to study with. Let me know what's the best way to get in touch.

Chris
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:17 am

I hope Francois is still studying! (The post is from last November.)

If you took a class with us, feel free to reach out to your instructor to ask whether any other students are also looking for study partners. I just got a similar request from one of my students in a class that ended a couple of weeks ago—I emailed the rest of that class and found another person who also wanted a study buddy.

(And this probably goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway: It's best to meet online right now. Zoom and Google Hangouts are a great way to student together from afar.)

Good luck!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep