Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
Khalid

That every worker: MGMAT CAT

by Khalid Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:14 pm

That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants.

A) That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants

B) Clean criminal records of their employees is important to investment banks; hence, a stringent background check are necessary prerequisites for employment

C) Because they consider it important that all of their employees have a clean criminal record, investment banks require each job applicant to undergo a stringent background check

D) It is of some importance that all investment banks’ workers have clean criminal records which is why many of them undergo stringent background checks

E) The reason that investment banks require background checks of their applicants is because they require clean criminal records of their employees

OA is C

I had eliminated C thinking " Investment Banks " is a collective noun. The use of they hence didn't seem proper. Can someone please shed some light?

Thanks
JonathanSchneider
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by JonathanSchneider Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:29 pm

Could you say: "Investment banks is planning some activites this fall"? This probably sounds wrong to you, and it is. We are talking about investment banks as individual entities; although there are multiples of them, they do not consitute a unified whole.

by Guest Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:05 pm

In this question, IT refers to what noun?

Regards
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:55 pm

The pronoun "it" can refer to a specific noun in a sentence, or it can also serve as a "dummy" pronoun, without a clear referent. For example, if I say "it is raining outside," what is the "it" in that sentence referring to? The sky? Mother Nature? No... it just is... The pronoun "it" isn't referring to anything concrete in that instance. Instead, the pronoun is referring to some unknown, abstract state of being.

Really annoying, huh? So how to deal with this on the test? Ask yourself what kind of noun the "it" could refer to in the sentence. If there isn't a good answer (as there isn't to my "it is raining outside" sentence), then it's probably a dummy pronoun and you can ignore it.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
malikrulzz
Forum Guests

Re: That every worker: MGMAT CAT

by malikrulzz Tue May 26, 2009 11:38 am

Khalid Wrote:That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants.

A) That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants

B) Clean criminal records of their employees is important to investment banks; hence, a stringent background check are necessary prerequisites for employment - sub verb agreement

C) Because they consider it important that all of their employees have a clean criminal record, investment banks require each job applicant to undergo a stringent background check

D) It is of some importance that all investment banks’ workers have clean criminal records which is why many of them undergo stringent background checks

E) The reason that investment banks require background checks of their applicants is because they require clean criminal records of their employees - redundant

OA is C

Please confirm my rasoning John/ Ron

Thanks
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:47 pm

The reasoning you've listed (sub-verb agreement on B, redundancy in E) is correct. I don't know your reasoning for A and D - you haven't actually explained why you highlighted some words in red. If you'd like to do so, we'll be happy to tell you whether your reasoning is correct!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
anoo.anand
Students

by anoo.anand Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:15 am

For me A and D ontain " which is why" ... that's the reason I have eliminated these.

Please le me know if this is correct.

Thanks
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:16 am

anoo.anand Wrote:For me A and D ontain " which is why" ... that's the reason I have eliminated these.

Please le me know if this is correct.

Thanks

correct. if you attribute these modifiers to the immediately preceding noun (as you must do for "which"), then the sentences don't make sense.

nicely done.
qowjdfhr
Students

by qowjdfhr Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:22 pm

what about 'they' in C. There is NO ANTECEDENT!
Please somebody help me with this...I don't get this.
edyong
Course Students

by edyong Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:55 am

qowjdfhr Wrote:what about 'they' in C. There is NO ANTECEDENT!

No an expert but my reasoning is:

"Because they consider it important that all of their employees have a clean criminal record" is a dependent clause modifying the subject of "investment banks require each job applicant to undergo a stringent background check", which is the investment bank.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:03 am

qowjdfhr Wrote:what about 'they' in C. There is NO ANTECEDENT!

"they" refers to "investment banks".

this is an acceptable construction - pronoun coming before antecedent, when the pronoun is in an initial modifier and the antecedent is in the main clause.
this is NOT acceptable if the pronoun is in the main clause and the antecedent is in a modifier that follows.

examples:
Although he had studied for hours, Thom failed the test --> acceptable
He failed the test, although Thom had studied for hours --> incorrect
sudhanshu.jha03
Forum Guests

by sudhanshu.jha03 Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:38 am

Hey GMAT Staff,

I agree C seems best among all...
bt C also have an error .."consider it important that all of their employees"
Correct idiom is consider xy.....bt here it is using consider x that y...
so i think c is also wrong.
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:25 am

we have "consider x y" here. "consider it important". x=it, y=important. you were looking too far down the line.. :)
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
pellucide
Students

by pellucide Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:18 am

Khalid Wrote:That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants.

B) Clean criminal records of their employees is important to investment banks; hence, a stringent background check are necessary prerequisites for employment

E) The reason that investment banks require background checks of their applicants is because they require clean criminal records of their employees

OA is C

I had eliminated C thinking " Investment Banks " is a collective noun. The use of they hence didn't seem proper. Can someone please shed some light?

Thanks

I hope I am not waking a dead horse. My question is regarding choice C. It says
".... investment banks require each job applicant to undergo a stringent background check".

Shouldnt this part be in subjunctive mood and say
".... investment banks require that each job applicant undergo a stringent background check"
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:06 pm

here's some good advice in general for SC: do not EVER ask yourself what a sentence "should" say. instead, ask whether the sentence is acceptable in its current form. your example works, but so does the original, which is why we keep the original..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html