Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
JbhB682
Course Students

That vs Who ?

by JbhB682 Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:10 am

Do you use that or who in these sentences ?

(a) The people (that/who) I like are all gymnasts.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I think we need to use who because who is used with people.

(b) The group of people (that/who) I like are all gymnasts.

Here the subject is group and not people. Hence we need to use "THAT" and not "Who" given a "GROUP" is not a person.

(c) The students (that/who) failed will have to stay back

I think Who because students are people

(d) The army (that/who) I like is the Greek army.
Not sure if you have to use That or Who. I am inclined towards That but not sure whats wrong with Who
esledge
Forum Guests

Re: That vs Who ?

by esledge Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:04 pm

JbhB682 Wrote:(a) The people (that/who) I like are all gymnasts.
Please correct me if I am wrong but I think we need to use who because who is used with people.
You can use either when referring to people as a class, but you'd use "who" if referring to a subset of people (esp. to an individual). Side note: if you use "who" here, it should be "whom" because the people are the object of the verb "like." But this is awkward sounding, and I just have not seen the GMAT test the who/whom distinction in this way (or much at all).

JbhB682 Wrote:(b) The group of people (that/who) I like are all gymnasts.
Here the subject is group and not people. Hence we need to use "THAT" and not "Who" given a "GROUP" is not a person.
Similarly, either "that" or "who(m)" is ok here; "that" wouldn't automatically win because "I like the group" and "I like the people" are both valid interpretations.

JbhB682 Wrote:(c) The students (that/who) failed will have to stay back
I think Who because students are people
I'd probably say "who," because "the students" in question are probably not the entire classification of students in the world or in general, but a particular group of students.

JbhB682 Wrote:(d) The army (that/who) I like is the Greek army.
Not sure if you have to use That or Who. I am inclined towards That but not sure whats wrong with Who
It is "that," because it's referring to "the army," which is a thing.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT