Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
jackiesong83
Course Students

The banana vs. Bananas?

by jackiesong83 Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:11 pm

The banana that contains high level of potassium and other important minerals are considered to be one of nature’s healthiest fruits.
A. The banana that contains high level of potassium and other important minerals are considered to be
B. The banana, which contains high levels of potassium and other important minerals, is considered
C. The banana, which contain high levels of potassium and other important minerals, is considered to be
D. Bananas which contain high levels of potassium and other important minerals are considered
E. The banana, which contains high levels of potassium and other important minerals, is considered to be

I ruled out A, C, and E for the incorrect idiom of "considered to be," but can someone explain between B & D, why B is the correct answer? Is it the lack of comma after Bananas in D?
sandeepgupta176
Students

Re: The banana vs. Bananas?

by sandeepgupta176 Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:39 am

Referring to "ONE OF THE" in the question stem ....it should refer to banana not bananas

Correct me if i am wrong !!!
kramacha1979
Students

by kramacha1979 Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:03 pm

Yes. Which is an non essential modifier and needs to have a comma in front of it
htchanit
Students

by htchanit Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:37 pm

Yep, I agree, I also think because lack of comma precedes which.
tim
Course Students

by tim Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:59 am

Both of these explanations are valid reasons to reject the incorrect choice. Nice work..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
sudhanshu.jha03
Forum Guests

by sudhanshu.jha03 Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:34 am

Hi Tim,

I have a queries:

one of the + plural noun + PLURAL VERB

is the underlined part alws true ?

As everytime syntex "one of the" is followed by plural noun...which means everytime this syntex will use plural verb...

Plz clarify this as I alws get confuse in this..

Thanks in advance.
tim
Course Students

by tim Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:13 am

actually, no. "one" is the subject; therefore we need a singular verb..
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
rajanbond
Course Students

by rajanbond Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:45 pm

jackiesong83 Wrote:The banana that contains high level of potassium and other important minerals are considered to be one of nature’s healthiest fruits.
A. The banana that contains high level of potassium and other important minerals are considered to be
B. The banana, which contains high levels of potassium and other important minerals, is considered
C. The banana, which contain high levels of potassium and other important minerals, is considered to be
D. Bananas which contain high levels of potassium and other important minerals are considered
E. The banana, which contains high levels of potassium and other important minerals, is considered to be

I ruled out A, C, and E for the incorrect idiom of "considered to be," but can someone explain between B & D, why B is the correct answer? Is it the lack of comma after Bananas in D?

Who refers to people. That and which refer to groups or things.

If you read carefully , you will notice that The Banana is referring to a class of fruits. here it is representing all the Bananas.

Issue-
Subject verb disagreement- The banana, are
Noun split
Number disagreement

The Banana that contains means(There is one/some banana that and only that banana out of many that contains potassium. this implies there are bananas that may not contain potassium and other minerals specified here)
Same issue with D. only the Bananas which contain high levels of minerals are considered...

Let's look at B.

The Banana, which contains..This means the fruit, which contains(all of them , the entire group. Group is always singular) , is considered

Please let me know if my explanation is correct or not. feedback is highly appreciated.
sudhanshu.jha03
Forum Guests

by sudhanshu.jha03 Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:51 am

hey Tim,

According to ur previous reply...I can say that in..
one of the + plural noun + SINGULAR VERB
the under lined part will be singular verb alws...
as "one" is the subject..

M i right ?
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:54 am

both of you are correct; nice work..
Tim Sanders