Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
poojakrishnamurthy1

The category 1 to 5 rating known as ...

by poojakrishnamurthy1 Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:53 am

Hi,

Got the following sentence in CAT 2 but have a problem.

SC Question:

The category 1 to 5 rating known as the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale provides an estimate of a hurricane’s potential of destroying or damaging property, and is primarily determined from wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds so high as to blow away small buildings, completely destroy mobile homes, and cause severe window and door damage.

(a) of destroying or damaging property, and is primarily determined from wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds so high as

(b) to destroy or damage property, and is primarily determined from wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds high enough

(c) of destroying or damaging property, and is primarily determined by wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds so high as

(d) to destroy or damage property, and is primarily determined by wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds high enough

(e) to destroy or damage property, and is primarily determined by wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds so high as

My doubt:

The Original Answer for this question is E but I marked D. The difference between the two choices is the usage of the idiom "so x as to y'; in this case the usage becomes so high as to blow away small buildings. However, in OG 11 Page 675 Q33 Option C, it is clearly mentioned that the construction so x as to y is NOT a correct idiom. Also on Page 716 OG 11 Q118 Option D also mentions that so much... as to be difficult is NOT a correct idiomatic expression, another extension of the so x as to y idiom.

I'm led to believe that so x as to y isn't a correct idiomatic expression and is incorrect on GMAT and so the answer to this question cannot be E.

Please clarify.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:11 pm

Sorry we've taken so long to get to your post! See this post: http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/post17021.html
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep