Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
kartik1979
Prospective Students

The ecosystems of barrier islands are

by kartik1979 Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:11 am

The ecosystems of barrier islands are extremely vulnerable-whether from natural processes like shoreline recession, rising sea levels, and destructive hurricanes, or the ever-increasing pressures of development.
A. whether from natural processes like shoreline recession, rising sea levels, and destructive hurricanes, or
B. whether from natural processes such as shoreline recession, rising sea levels, and destructive hurricanes, or also
C. to processes that are natural like shoreline recession, rising sea levels, and destructive hurricanes, and also
D. to processes that are natural ones like shoreline recession, rising sea levels, and destructive hurricanes, as well as to
E. to natural processes such as shoreline recession, rising sea levels, and destructive hurricanes, as well as to

hi
i could narrow it down to B and e, ,wanted to know why B is wrong and E is right
in B i assumed the ( from) - es, or also (From)
kartik1979
Prospective Students

Re: The ecosystems of barrier islands are

by kartik1979 Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:16 am

it just dawned on me, Is B wrong because it uses also and Or together

one more question

the day i read the rule in one of the post of ron that as well as + verbing should be followed, i faced a lot of probelms with "as well as" questions

i have posted one question just before this

could some one confirm whether what i have written below is right?

noun as well as noun - correct
as well as + infinitive - in this case is correct
mikrodj
Course Students

by mikrodj Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:36 am

I have another question regarding this problem.

what function does the dash play in this sentence? I thought that infinitive modifies couldn't appear after a comma or a dash. I was obviously wrong.

Is it possible this use because the modifier refers to the previous clause?

reading the explanation to the problem #30 OG 12, I concluded that a infinitive could not be preceded by a comma. In which cases is that use acceptable?

Thank you in advance.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:50 pm

mikrodj Wrote:I have another question regarding this problem.

what function does the dash play in this sentence? I thought that infinitive modifies couldn't appear after a comma or a dash. I was obviously wrong.

Is it possible this use because the modifier refers to the previous clause?

reading the explanation to the problem #30 OG 12, I concluded that a infinitive could not be preceded by a comma. In which cases is that use acceptable?

Thank you in advance.

these aren't infinitive modifiers. in this case, "to" is a preposition, so these are prepositional phrases.
(the easiest way to tell that this is the case is to notice that "to" is followed by NOUNS, not verbs.)

the function of the dash, in this sentence, is basically as a "clarifier" or "specifier", adding more specifics to the sentence. when you use this sort of dash, the portion of the sentence PRIOR to the dash must be a complete sentence.
mostly, the function is rhetorical: this sort of dash is normally used when there is some sort of unexpected twist or unforeseen circumstance/consequence of what is being said.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:51 pm

kartik1979 Wrote:it just dawned on me, Is B wrong because it uses also and Or together

correct. you can't do that.

also, "vulnerable from" is not a proper idiom. the correct idiom is "vulnerable to".
(you can also use "vulnerable" by itself.)