Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
krishnaprashanth2004
Forum Guests

The Employees were upset by the company's low pay, poor work

by krishnaprashanth2004 Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:49 pm

"The Employees were upset by the company's low pay, poor working condition, and they do not have enough outlets for their creativity."

This example is from MGMAT Guide 8 SC 5th Edition.

I am finding the explanation given a little hard to grasp and would appreciate further elaboration.

The explanation says: "..this example has three comparable parts..."
and that the first two parts has a noun phrase and that the last part contains a subject, verb and object.

I'll break this down into three sentences for simplification:

1. The employees were upset by the company's low pay.

Ok. This is supposed to be a Noun phrase. What makes this a noun phrase? The fact that is has a noun? Ok..that might be obvious enough but which words are the noun. A noun is a person, place, animal or thing. In this sentences aren't the employees (person), company (thing) nouns. Why is pay considered a noun. Is it because pay is an object(thing) perhaps?

Assuming that pay IS a noun, why is the pay a central noun. Is it because the phrase "low pay" is what makes the statement unique? versus the other two phrases.

2. The employees were upset by the company's poor working conditions.

I have same problems as 1 but explaining 1 will probably help with 2. Instead I want to ask is working the verb and conditions the noun.

3. The employees were upset by the company's ..that they do not have enough outlets for their creativity.

Ok. I can clearly see that I can't create a full sentence with the original words and there is a need to change it. This probably is what parallelism means.

I assume they = subject, have enough = verb and creativity = object?

If i have the subject, verb and object right then why does the final answer say that, " The company's shortage of outlets for employees' creativity." is a noun phrase. It may have a noun = shortage but it also has the object creativity.

Thanks.
Willy
Course Students

Re: The Employees were upset by the company's low pay, poor work

by Willy Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:46 am

krishnaprashanth2004 Wrote:"The Employees were upset by the company's low pay, poor working condition, and they do not have enough outlets for their creativity."

This example is from MGMAT Guide 8 SC 5th Edition.

I am finding the explanation given a little hard to grasp and would appreciate further elaboration.

The explanation says: "..this example has three comparable parts..."
and that the first two parts has a noun phrase and that the last part contains a subject, verb and object.

I'll break this down into three sentences for simplification:

1. The employees were upset by the company's low pay.

Ok. This is supposed to be a Noun phrase. What makes this a noun phrase? The fact that is has a noun? Ok..that might be obvious enough but which words are the noun. A noun is a person, place, animal or thing. In this sentences aren't the employees (person), company (thing) nouns. Why is pay considered a noun. Is it because pay is an object(thing) perhaps?

Assuming that pay IS a noun, why is the pay a central noun. Is it because the phrase "low pay" is what makes the statement unique? versus the other two phrases.

2. The employees were upset by the company's poor working conditions.

I have same problems as 1 but explaining 1 will probably help with 2. Instead I want to ask is working the verb and conditions the noun.

3. The employees were upset by the company's ..that they do not have enough outlets for their creativity.

Ok. I can clearly see that I can't create a full sentence with the original words and there is a need to change it. This probably is what parallelism means.

I assume they = subject, have enough = verb and creativity = object?

If i have the subject, verb and object right then why does the final answer say that, " The company's shortage of outlets for employees' creativity." is a noun phrase. It may have a noun = shortage but it also has the object creativity.

Thanks.

Nice question!

Noun Phrase

A noun phrase is either a single noun or pronoun or a group of words containing a noun or a pronoun that function together as a noun or pronoun, as the subject or object of a verb.

Two noun phrases are

the company's low pay,

the company's poor working condition

3rd noun phrase (in correct option) is

shortage of outlets for employees' creativity
I Can. I Will.
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: The Employees were upset by the company's low pay, poor work

by jnelson0612 Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:19 pm

Thanks! Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor