Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
pixiedust

The GMAT gave me an extra Question!

by pixiedust Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:11 pm

I just took the GMAT and either the verbal question counter was off or I got an extra question! I was working on my last problem, #41, and since it was my last I ran down the clock figuring I might as well spend whatever time I had left reviewing it. To my surprise when I confirmed my answer it said that I had ANOTHER #41! I ended up with only a few seconds and my fingers weren't fast enough to even submit a guess so I ended up with a blank answer.

Maybe a lesser complaint but when I had come back from my break the proctor couldn't remember the password to get back into my computer and I ended up losing about half a minute from the exam.

It probably wouldn't have made a huge difference but it could have meant maybe another 10 points? Is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks in advance
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:37 pm

You can file a formal complaint through www.mba.com. (Warning: it can be a cumbersome process and take a while to resolve.)

Are you absolutely sure you really were on problem #41, or is there a chance you just thought you were but you were really on #40? Stressful times make us mess up stuff like that sometimes.

In any event, the proctor forgetting the password and getting you back into the test late is definitely a problem and (in my opinion) should warrant some kind of remedy, maybe even all the way up to a free re-take of the test, particularly because you could have used that 30 seconds to input an answer on your last question. These kinds of situations are rare enough that I don't know exactly what they'll do, but you should definitely ask.

Leaving one question blank results in an automatic drop of about 3 percentile points in your score for that section, so that could potentially lower your overall score. So it's worth looking into this.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep

by Guest Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:47 pm

Thank you. I tried to file a complaint, I've sent a couple of emails to GMAT. My routine was to number spots on my scrap paper to answer the last 5 questions so i could keep track of my time better and number 37-41 were filled. I just can't believe two things happened during this exam and I really don't want to retake it. I would be satisfied if the last question were just stricken from my score but it doesn't seem like GMAT will look into this. Now putting together applications and having to retake the exam, I don't think I can handle the strain of a long battle with GMAT.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:26 pm

Honestly, if they won't look into it - it's probably because it didn't really give you an extra question. I would think the software just wouldn't even be able to do that - it can only do what it's programmed to do, and if that's not in its programming, then it can't do it. The test tells you, on screen, which problem number you're on. If you didn't actually see one number twice or a number 42 or something, then likely you just accidentally miscounted or filled something in twice on your scrap paper.

Have they responded about the proctor / password issue?
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
ManhattanPrep

by Guest Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:40 pm

Yes I received an email that they are looking into the matter. I'm not sure how I can prove that the guy was standing there looking around trying to think of the password.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:03 am

Let us know what happens.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
ManhattanPrep