Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
PH

The invention of the cotton gin, being one of the most

by PH Sun May 18, 2008 3:33 pm

Source is Manhattan GMAT - Question bank

The invention of the cotton gin, being one of the most significant developments of the nineteenth century, had turned cotton cloth into an affordable commodity; it was costly before that.

a) being one of the most significant developments of the nineteenth century, had turned cotton cloth into an affordable commodity; it was costly before that
b) having been one of the most significant developments of the nineteenth century, turned cotton cloth into an affordable commodity, costly previously
c) one of the most significant developments of the nineteenth century, turned cotton cloth into an affordable, however costly previously, commodity
d) one of the most significant developments of the nineteenth century, turned cotton cloth into an affordable commodity, whereas it had previously been costly
e) being one of the most significant developments of the nineteenth century, turned cotton cloth from a previously costly commodity to an affordable one

I know the answer is D but I need some clarification. It seems to me that WHEREAS is acting as a coordinating conjuction by linking 2 independenct clauses. If this is the case, then I was under the impression that FANBOYS (for, and, but, or, yet, so) could only be used to link independenct clauses. Why can we use whereas in this case?

Thank you.

by Guest Tue May 20, 2008 2:45 pm

In this sentence, a contrast is needed to show that the invention of cotton gin has made cotton more affordable now versus the more expensive cost in the past. Whereas can be used to set up a contrast, making sense in this sentence. In addition, Choice B is the only choice that makes the contrast clear.
loinKing1976

Why C is wrong ? and "it" is ambiguous in choice D

by loinKing1976 Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:51 pm

I am not convinced by the OE.

C: simplified version of C is :
The invention of cotton gin turned cotton cloth into an affordable, however costly previously, commodity.

I don't see anything wrong here. I think "however costly previously" is correctly modifying commodity.

D: simplified version of D is :
D: The invention of cotton gin turned cotton cloth into an affordable commodity, whereas it had previously been costly.

What is "it" referring to ?? cotton or commodity ? I feel "it" has ambiguous reference.

Can any of the MGMAT tutors explain ?

Thanks,
MGMAT student.

by Guest Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:47 pm

I have the same question. I eliminated D it seems like "it" can refer to either the subject (The invention) or the object (cotton). Can someone please clarify why "it" is not ambiguous?

by Guest Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:27 am

Any thoughts from the tutors regarding the previous post? Antecedent for "it" in D?
dps

by dps Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:49 pm

I think pronoun reference is not very strict in GMAT.
As long as meaning is clear, it's ok.
In D, "it" is refering to Cotton, here commodity is also in context of cotton

In C, "however costly previously" is incorrectly modifying "affordable"
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:02 am

hi everyone.

first, this problem is in the wrong folder. our cat's have their own folder; these problems should go in there, not in the gmatprep verbal folder. i'll move the thread.

second, this problem has been the subject of much debate among our staff. check back in a lil while, and we'll probably have it sorted out better. we agree that it is not perfect.